My T410 suddenly displayed a "Thermal Sensing Error" message when booting up the machine, then it shut down.
The day before I encounter this error I had :
- updated to the latest BIOS in the afternoon
- used a couple of hours at night
Any suggestions to solve this? Need to carry-in for support's inspection?
This error could occur for multiple reasons:
1) Malfunctioning fan - although "fan error" message is more often displayed, especially if fan fails to spin on boot.
2) Poor heatsink to CPU contact - over time, thermal paste can dry up. If the system is out of warranty, you can try removing the fan & heatsink, clean away the dried thermal paste from CPU and heatsink, and apply artic silver and to the top of the CPU (a dab the size of a BB). re-install the CPU.
3) Malfunctioning sensor in the system board - seek service.
After checking fan is spinning momentarily at power on, try running Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox diagnostics on the system board - run memory, systemboard and GPU tests.