Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
bernZ

Re: T410 Ultrabay HDD Question

The thing I was missing was the Power Management DRIVER. 

Make sure you have both the Power Management Software as well as the Power Management Driver. I had formatted my Windows install only to find this simple mistake. :smileyhappy: Works great now. We should consider seeing whether or not there's a permanent situation to even boot up from the disc though. 

Token Ring
Dd16

To bernZ :

If you want a permanent solution you may want to try original Hard Drive Bay Adapter III, P/N 43N3412.  I can not vouch 100% but I read in several places on the net that it works on T410 without any problems.

Fanfold Paper
bernZ

Thanks for the suggestion dd. My concern is that the adapter lists as compatible in one link and incompatible at another from Lenovo's website. 

Here, it is incompatible. http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?...

Here, it lists it as compatible. 

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-73170

If we can get an official answer from Lenovo it'd be great.

SCSI Port
SteveInWA

[ Edited ]

I'd trust your second link, to the support page, which was updated 5-6-2010.  The other link, to the sales page, doesn't say that it is INcompatible.  I assume it simply didn't get updated after the T410 models came out, to also list those models.  The machines use the Serial Ultrabay Slim form factor.  You can confirm this by looking at the service parts page, where, for example, it shows the same DVD drives for all the models.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/options_iso/43n3412_ug.pdf

The only "gotcha" is that the adapter is designed to hold 2.5" hard drives that have a standard ThinkPad sheet metal mounting sleeve screwed on to them.  Without this part, it will be a loose fit, subject to vibration/shock.  So, either get a sleeve, or wrap it with something to bulk it up  ;-)

And now for something completely different:  the T410 has a eSATA connector on the front left corner.  I bought a really well-made external enclosure for 2.5" HDDs from OtherWorld Computing.  It's rugged, tiny, fanless, just as fast as an internal drive, and allows you to keep the DVD drive installed in the UltraBay.  No futzing with settings; it's truly plug-n-play.  You can either buy one with a drive installed, or empty, as a DIY kit.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/EliteALmini/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

--Steve
HDMI
beickus

Dd16 wrote:

To bernZ :

If you want a permanent solution you may want to try original Hard Drive Bay Adapter III, P/N 43N3412.  I can not vouch 100% but I read in several places on the net that it works on T410 without any problems.

so which ultrabay adapter is definitely able for booting from it?

Blue Screen Again
mkoch

Anyone has booted from the ultrabay drive?
I am interested to know as well!
Paper Tape
jfd3220

Why would you need to boot from the Ultrabay.  You can have multiple OSes on your main drive or just use virtual machines.  The T410 has no shortage of resources for virtualization.

Blue Screen Again
mkoch

I want to boot from the ultrabay because the original HDD needs to stay that way.

Booting from an ultrabay has never been a problem on T43 / T60 / T400, so i want to know if it works for a T410 as well.

T410 BIOS does not recognise the UB that I used in the T400

Fanfold Paper
T410-Owner

Re: T410 Ultrabay HDD Question - SOLVED!

I have a T410 and I purchased an HDD Ultrabay adapter on eBay. It was brand new and looks just like a genuine Lenovo item, but it's not Hot Swappable.  When I looked for the part number, I noticed that the seller had swiped over the item number with a black marker. When I wiped off the marker, I discovered the the FRU p/n 62P4553 and ASM p/n 62P4552.  The solution stated in this thread does work, but it seems kind of unnecessary for a $1000 laptop.  With all of my previous Thinkpads, I could simply eject the CD drive and plug in the HDD adapter and the hard drive would be recognized immediately (and vice versa). 

Can anyone confirm that there is a genuine Lenovo HDD Ultrabay adapter (with part #) that is hot swappable and does not require the workaround described in this thread? 

Thanks.

Blue Screen Again
mkoch

Re: T410 Ultrabay HDD Question - SOLVED!

[ Edited ]

The numbers you state in the post refer to bays for T41 T43 and so on, so older type thinkpads.

from lenove tech support europe i got confirmation that the ThinkPad Serial ATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter III should work with the T410 without tricks and you should be able to boot from it as well.

I just ordered such an ultrabay, but I am still waiting for it to arive. So i can not confirm from experience that the 43N3412 works yet.

Currently I have an "ebay ultrabay" that worked fine for the T400, but T400 is compatible with the bay adapter II and 410 needs the bay adapter III aparently.

seems that the link is not working. Here the URL:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-73170.html

Moderator edit: Fixed broken link.