Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
carsalinas
Accepted Solution

T410 User's manual

Hello,

I've trying to find the user's manual of my T410, but I only found the "Hardware Maintenance Manual - ThinkPad T410 and T410i" and "Service and Troubleshooting Guide - ThinkPad T410, T410s, T510 and W510"  Is there an online version (PDF) of this manual??... I'm only using Ubuntu as OS....

Specifications

Product: ThinkPad T410 2522-D36
Original description: i7-620M(2.66GHz), 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200rpm HD, 14.1in 1440x900 LCD, 512MB nVIDIA Quadro NVS 3100M, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11agn, WWAN option, Bluetooth, Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Secure Chip, FPR, Camera, 6c Li-Ion, No preload

Regards,

Carlos

Token Ring
georg

Re: T410 User's manual

User's Manual for ThinkPads is a program called Access Help, it's an online user's guide. In order to install that application, you need a computer running Windows Vista, 7, or XP. I'm not sure whether it will install on computers, that are not ThinkPads. It's available here:

http://download.lenovo.com/lenovo/content/ddfm/MIGR-74582.html#pa

There is also a Safety and Warranty Guide available in .pdf format :

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-62460

Blue Screen Again
jbrancier

The only problem is that only Windows Vista & 7 are listed for the utility.

Token Ring
georg

jbrancier wrote:

The only problem is that only Windows Vista & 7 are listed for the utility.

No - according to Lenovo's support site, Windows XP Professional SP3 meets system requirements for Access Help.

Maliha

Wouldn't be a bad idea if you look at this KB:- http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/Available-Features-For-ThinkPads/ta-p/27473...

Hope it helps.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

What's DOS?
bendtraveler

We bought T410 laptops and no user manual info came with them; I tried the link you provided and it only brought up drivers - I've looked all over the Lenovo site and cannot find anything that explains the keyboard functions, the camera or any of the other features of the unit - cannot believe there is nothing out there.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Hello and welcome,

As mentioned above, ther user's guide is part of the help system.  If it's not on your machine you should be able to download it here:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/guides-and-manuals/detail.page?DocID=UM010582

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Fanfold Paper
Orthoducks

[ Edited ]

Okay, I downloaded the "user manual" and installed it. It doesn't work.

I installed the installer and then ran it. It displayed a progress bar which sat just barely beyond "start" for the better part of the minute, then zipped over to "complete" in a couple of seconds. It displayed no error messages. When it was done, there is no icon for the user manual on the desktop and no entry for it in the start menu. I searched for "user," "help," and "Lenovo," but found nothing.

I found the directory which is supposed to contain the user manual: C:\Program Files (x86)\ThinkVantage\AHLP. There's nothing in it but an ICO file and a pair of one-line text files.

I removed and reinstalled the program, and got the same result.

I bought my machine used with a blank hard drive, and I'm running a (legal) generic version of Windows 7. That's the only thing I can think of that might explain the installer's failure. Because I do not have a Lenovo edition of Windows 7, does that mean that I can't have a user manual?

Bit Torrent
Anastasios

[ Edited ]

Orthoducks wrote:

Okay, I downloaded the "user manual" and installed it. It doesn't work.

I installed the installer and then ran it. It displayed a progress bar which sat just barely beyond "start" for the better part of the minute, then zipped over to "complete" in a couple of seconds. It displayed no error messages. When it was done, there is no icon for the user manual on the desktop and no entry for it in the start menu. I searched for "user," "help," and "Lenovo," but found nothing.

I found the directory which is supposed to contain the user manual: C:\Program Files (x86)\ThinkVantage\AHLP. There's nothing in it but an ICO file and a pair of one-line text files.

I removed and reinstalled the program, and got the same result.

I bought my machine used with a blank hard drive, and I'm running a (legal) generic version of Windows 7. That's the only thing I can think of that might explain the installer's failure. Because I do not have a Lenovo edition of Windows 7, does that mean that I can't have a user manual?

Access Help T410.PNGHi there.

This question seems to come up ever so often in one form or another concerning T410, T61, etc. So don't mind my overly detailed response. My answer is intended to help you as well as many others who may read these posts in the future. Many of these things I'm sure you already know, but new visitors may not fully understand. 

First, there is no "Lenovo edition" of Windows 7. Machines which were shipped with Windows 7 pre-installed utilize the same Windows 7 you have . There is no such thing as a "generic" version of Windows 7- unless it is some hacked or pirated version, but I'm sure that's not what you're referring to. The difference is that Lenovo installs many "Thinkvantage" applications on an initial factory installation. Since many of those apps are useless, cumbersome, hog resources, bug and nag you to purchase more Lenovo products (marketing purposes), and only serve to slow down your laptop, it's MUCH better to do your own fresh, streamlined installation of Windows 7. This is also why I NEVER use restore discs but ALWAYS do a clean installation of Windows 7. Here are all the complete, authentic, genuine Windows 7 ISO files directly from the Microsoft Website. These are nice because they have SP1 (Service Pack One) already integrated: http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/   You may also reference my post here for some more info. on retail vs. OEM vs. VL, and possible activation issues: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-7-Discussion/Win-7-Product-key-not-working/m-p/1024331#M11851

Install and activate Windows 7 using the "O.A." or "C.O.A." Product key located  on the back or under the battery of your Thinkpad. Microsoft MUST respect O.E.M. product keys and MUST activate them though you may have to CALL IN and use the automated activation system. Then, navigate to the Lenovo Drivers and Software page and download essential drivers and only the apps you personally find useful. For me, that's Hotkeys, Power Manager, Keyboard customizer, Power DVD, Roxio and Access Help (if installing on a laptop I am preparing for a client). I never bother with Access Connections, Thinkvantage System Update, Lenovo Solutions Center or all that stuff. But, to each his own.

Finally, here is the simple solution to your question regarding Access Help. I tried installing the Windows 7 version of Access help on a laptop once and found the same thing you did. It completes installation but then, where is it? How do you "access Access Help?" Some one said the Windows 7 version now gets integrated into the Windows 7 Help system- see the first "Comment" in this Knowledgebase article (scroll to the end of the article) : http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/Manuals-and-user-guide-for-available-featur...

I will also quote it here:

"Comments: by mjdl on ‎11-30-2010 02:07 PM

On Windows 7, there is no link to Access Help in the ThinkVantage programs group on the Start Menu. Instead, the link has been integrated into the home page of the Windows Help application, which is accessed by Start-->Help and Support, or by pressing key F1 in any Windows File Explorer window and then clicking on the Home icon."

(Well I tried installing the Windows 7 version of Access help but could not find it in the Windows 7 Help menu, so I decided not to bother with the Windows 7 version of the program). Besides, I prefer a separate "Access Help" link in the "Thinkvantage folder," and a simple way to create an "Access Help" (Red Question mark) icon on the desktop for people I set up these T410 laptops for. So a simple solution I found is to install the Windows XP version of Access Help.

I have found the various XP versions of Access Help work under Windows 7 on T410, T61, T60, R60, T400, R400, R61, W500, basically any Thinkpad which has Windows 7 installed and XP version of Access Help available for download from the Lenovo website. And I would imagine there is no difference between the content of help found in the Windows 7 version and XP version of Access Help. (I have browsed through the XP versions of Access help for most of these laptops and it seems to contain a wealth of information for new users, covering many essential topics, and I don't see anything lacking. I have included a screen shot above). So I just use the XP version, which I can testify from first-hand experience will install under Windows 7 (nothing special to do, no settings to tweak, no 'compatibility mode' necesssary, just download and run it). It will create a link in the "Thinkvantage" folder, from which you can create an icon for the desktop.

In the case of T410,   here are the simple steps to install the Windows XP version of Access Help (which works perfectly under Windows 7):

(1) Go to the Drivers and Software- Thinkpad T410 page: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-74582

(2) Scroll down to "ThinkVantage Technology" and install the XP/Vista Version of Access Help. Version : 2.01  29 Jan 2010 filename 6mta03us.exe  14.64 MB. Direct link here: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS003757  (Same file works for T510 and  W510 also).

Access help icon on desktop.PNG(3) The XP version will create an Access Help link in Start Menu---> All Programs ---> Thinkvantage. 

You can also Access Help on start menu.pngcreate an icon on your desktop by  right-clicking Access help in the Thinkvantage folder, and choosing "Send to desktop (create shortcut)."

Thank you for the detailed response. Unfortunately it does not resolve my problems.

First, I'll observe that your "I prefer a separate "Access Help" link" comment is not really about preference, but more about basic reasonableness. To make an analogy, if I bought a new water heater I would expect the installer to install the fool thing, not tuck its parts into various nooks and crannies of my house, where I could find each one of them if I searched hard enough. This experience is making me feel that instead of dealing with an organization run by reasonable people, I'm dealing with a contrary-minded genie who interprets each request I make in some grotesque, unforeseeable way.

Now, regarding the statement that the installer actually will leave the parts of my "hot water heater" in places where I can find them, it didn't happen. I looked at Windows Help, and they're not there. For example, a search for "T410" yields no matches.

Again, I can't think of any reason why this would happen except that I installed my version of Windows with its own product key rather than using the one on the bottom of the machine. (Assuming that's the problem, how would I know in advance that I had to use the Lenovo key? By reading the Lenovo help pages, I suppose! There's a catch-22 here.)

At this point, I'm afraid that the advice to (re)install Windows 7 with the Lenovo product key – if that's the solution to my problem – comes a bit late. I've been using my machine for three or four months, and I'm not about to blow away all the software I've installed and all the configuration I've done to get my hands on the darned user manual!

Regarding the Windows XP installer, I'm afraid it did exactly the same thing as the Windows 7 version: it sat for a long time at 0% done, zipped over the 100% done in a couple of seconds, and failed to install anything usable. I found the directory it used, and again, it contains a.ICO file and a couple of one-line text files. There is also a DLL and a couple of .reg files, but nothing I can execute. It added nothing to the start menu.