Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Bruce_Thinker

Re: [T410] discrete gfx - Problem with Video Card and Windows Aero -anyone using 4Gb memory modules?

rednasy,

I have some information for you . 

My notebook is T410 2522AB7 with I5 520 CPU , 2GX2 RAM ,and NVS 3100 256MB video card.

The problem is that when I use Autodesk Inventor 2010 and Autocad 2010, aero will dispeard and the program is crashed. Only to restart the computer the Inventor and autocad will work . but no more time  , they crashed again.

I modify the Nvidia's latest driver  258.96, all seem work well. But inventor can't use 3d hardware acceleration. Perhaps the old problem come again when the 3d hardware acceletation work well .

All I think  that the 3d driver  have big bugs . 

Paper Tape
Bruce_Thinker

Re: [T410] discrete gfx - Problem with Video Card and Windows Aero -anyone using 4Gb memory modules?

HI guys

I found that if I don't use thinkpad 's theme , all seems come well.

Testing , I'll be back!
Fanfold Paper
msafi

• Model T410
  • BIOS version (Latest?) 6IET55WW (1.15)
  • OS loaded (ex. Win 7 64bit) Win 7 64bit
  • Lenovo default OS? Yes
  • Issue happen on Battery / AC / Both? Both
  • Updates from TVSU completed? Yes
  • Updates from Windows Updates? Yes
  • Graphic card driver version 8.16.11.8955
  • Power Manager Version 3.20
  • Power Management Driver Don't know how to find this
  • RAM installed (brand and 1 x 4gb, 1 x 2gb, 2 x 2gb?) 2 X 2048 MB DDR3-SDRAM (1067 MHz)
  • Any error notification before issue occurred? None
  • 3rd party application installed before issue happen? None in particular
  • Any particular application which is running on the time this issue arises? Graphics intensive apps, I think...
  • Running on battery? AC? Docked on station? All
  • Are you able to recreate this issue again? If so, how? Maybe run lots of graphic intensive apps
  • Additional comments which you think might help. After error I get tray icon notification "Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 188.25 stopped responding and has successfully recovered". But after upgrading to latest driver, it crashes without issuing this message, I think...
  • Workaround which you are currently using, are there limitations when using these workarounds? None
Fanfold Paper
jeffsteinbok

I recently got a T410 and managed to find what appears to be a solution to the problem. I, and a few other people have tried this and can confirm that the crashes go away, and that all the functionality like the on-screen-display and hardware buttons still work.

The trick here is that you need to modify an INF file so that setup recognizes your video card.

1.  Download latest NVidia reference drivers from here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-258.96-whql-driver.html

2.  Run the setup program; it will create c:\NVIDIA and launch the installer.

3.  Quit the installer; it won’t work right now.

4.  Go to: c:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\258.96\WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display

5.  Create a backup of nvaa.inf

6.  Modify nvaa.inf by adding the following 2 lines. One line gets added to each section of the file.  Look for the section headers, and just add the line to the end of the section:

[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1]
%NVIDIA_DEV.061C.03% = Section004, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A6C&SUBSYS_214217AA

[Strings]
NVIDIA_DEV.061C.03 = "NVIDIA NVS 3100M - Modified INF"

7.  Run setup.exe from c:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\258.96\WinVista_Win7_64\International

8.  Check the boxes to install both the Audio and Video drivers

9.  Reboot when done

Fanfold Paper
marksibert

Update:  I've been running with the 257.21 driver since September 8th.  Immediately after installing it, I could not boot when undocked.  Out of laziness, I continued to run the 257.21 driver because I'm docked 99% of the time.

Over the weekend, I undocked my computer to run it, and didn't even think about the fact that it might not boot.  It booted and ran fine.  I re-docked it this morning, and it still works.

I'm not sure what changed over the last 2 weeks.  (I did notice some Windows updates had installed themselves.)  I'm certainly not going to complain though!  :-)

- Mark

Retired Employee
JameZ

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

Engineering has provided the following drivers for test for this AERO issue. Please take note that this is for test only and does not specifically mentioned that it will fix this AERO issue however we would appreciate if everyone could download this new GPU driver, try it on the machine and see if it helps curb the issue.

I would appreciate everyone's feedback on this and will cascade your feedbacks to engineering.

Software name      NVIDIA Display Driver

Support models     ThinkPad T410, T410i
                   ThinkPad T510, T510i
                   ThinkPad W510

Operating System   Microsoft Windows 7  32-bit / 64-bit
  Refer to marketing materials to find out what computer models support which Operating Systems. Versions 8.17.12.5738 (Graphics) 1.0.15.0 (Audio) Support devices NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M NVIDIA NVS 3100M

Win 7 32-bit
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/6md536ww.txt
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/6md536ww.exe

Win 7 64-bit
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/6md636ww.txt
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/6md636ww.exe

//JameZ

edit comment - change some information

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Fanfold Paper
msafi

What "audio issue"?

Retired Employee
JameZ

Hi msafi,

Sorry, my mistake. The AERO issue I meant. There is another ongoing issue regarding audio which is caused by the GPU drivers however engineering has requested to test this GPU driver for both AERO issue and the audio issue.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Fanfold Paper
dswtan

*Thank you* JameZ! This new driver has solved my longstanding graphics issue (DWM crashes, losing Aero, ever since new) as reported here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T410-Serious-Problem-with-the-Video-Drivers...

I have now had Aero working for 48hrs with none of the harsh "flashes" I was seeing when moving windows happening now, and associated app crashes.  

Hopefully it will fix people's audio issues too! Great news!

I see the driver is now also here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-75176 

Fanfold Paper
marksibert

I just tried the new driver as well, and it seems to be working well so far.  I'm glad Lenovo finally issued an update.