Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
tkenne11

Re: T410 docking station issue - VGA external monitor flashes.

We have seen the same issue where I work.  ThinkPad T410 on a ThinkPad Dock Series 3.  The symptoms vary from dock USB cutting out, external screens flashing or changing color, system hanging, etc.  Sometimes, a particular laptop will work with one dock when it did not work with another.  Unfortunately, the problem seems to be the laptop dock connector, and not the dock, itself.  I have personally sent in probably a half dozen of these laptops to Lenovo for depot repair.  On the plus side, after they replace the planar (system board), every one of them has worked great in any dock.

I was browsing the forums to see if I could find someone with a solution that is less drastic.  Looks like it is not going to happen.  Good luck, all!

Token Ring
Kicker774

tkenne11 wrote:

I have personally sent in probably a half dozen of these laptops to Lenovo for depot repair.  On the plus side, after they replace the planar (system board), every one of them has worked great in any dock.

I was browsing the forums to see if I could find someone with a solution that is less drastic.  Looks like it is not going to happen.  Good luck, all!

Half a dozen out of how many in your company total?
This issue seemed to pop up all the sudden for us. I'm working on a 3rd person with this issue in the past 2 weeks.
Sounds like my wrist is going to be very sore here. :manindifferent:

Paper Tape
tkenne11

Unfortunately, I do not have access to the total count.  There are hundreds of T410 between the buildings.  Might exceed a thousand.  I have another going out for this problem, today, and have to order a depot repair box for another.

Similar issue as the rest.  They either worked fine for a while, or the issue was only a nuisance for the user, so they ignored it.  I expect a lot more activity on this front.

Better get a good wrist support!  Sorry for the bad news.

Token Ring
Kicker774

Similar count here by now I bet.

I get the pleasure of repairing them onsite and getting them back to the customer usually same day.

Token Ring
Kicker774

[ Edited ]

Looks like Lenovo is sending FRU # 04W0507 to replace 63Y1487

Not sure if there are other system board FRUs experiencing this problem.

Punch Card
ThinkMike

unbelievable... just tested this, and slightly touching my docked t410s (plus series 3 minidock) caused all usb ports on the dock to disconnect....

This is my first Thinkpad, and I really believed that with this notebook, i buy something extremely reliable, something to trust in.
good lord, when i look on the past weeks, what issues i had...dont know if i'd buy a thinkpad again.
Token Ring
Kicker774

Has anyone seen this issue in the T410s units?

We don't have as many of them as we do T410 unit but I'm having a user with the exact same issue. (Loose docking station connection with the motherboard)

As mentioned Lenovo has sent FRU # 04W0507 to replace the motherboards in the T410 units.  This is a new part # being subbed with 63Y1487.

Has anyone seen a sub for FRU 75Y4133? On the T410s units?

We chased our tails replacing like for like on the first couple of T410 system boards (Same holds true for the T410 fans early on).  I'd rather not replaced like for like (Broke for broke) and have to chase down this issue again.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Token Ring
Kicker774

As an update to this we received the same FRU (75Y4133) yesterday.

I swapped out the board and it seems to be doing ok so far. (Knocks on wood)

Token Ring
Kicker774

I've had another 2 T410s machines have popped up with this issue.

Techs on the phone are oblivious to the issue and keep telling us to try another dock when I call in to get a case #.

The issue is not with the dock, the issue is with the connectors on the motherboard of the laptop. (Be it T410 or T410s)

This is also not a failure that happens or gets worse over time indicating wear/tear on the connectors. We've seen this happen straight out of the box in some instances.

Would anyone from Lenovo care to comment on this issue?

Multiple case #s can be provided.

Paper Tape
Sylvain_S

ThinkMike wrote:
unbelievable... just tested this, and slightly touching my docked t410s (plus series 3 minidock) caused all usb ports on the dock to disconnect....

This is my first Thinkpad, and I really believed that with this notebook, i buy something extremely reliable, something to trust in.
good lord, when i look on the past weeks, what issues i had...dont know if i'd buy a thinkpad again.

I'm am having the exact same issue as described above.  With a T410.  Is there possibly another solution other there a motherboard repair?  Anything help is greatly appreciated.