Support in other languages: 
SCSI Port
sabeerkurikkal
Accepted Solution

T410 giving Fan Error

[ Edited ]

Dears ....

My T410 (2522 NS7) is giving Fan error...sometimes only...... I cleaned the fan and updated BIOS etc  but still same....

Its happening some times only

Help me please 

Punch Card
krzysiuc

Re: T410 giving Fan Error

I had something similar in T500 a while ago, turned out it had to replaced.

What you could do, is to get compressed air and try to blow into vents, sometimes it is just too dirty. Otherwise I would collect some screenshoots with this error and call Lenovo service.

cheers

Chris 

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,326
Solutions: 285

krzysiiuc,

Good advice - canned air can temporarily unstick the fan.   Fan error on start up means the fan didn't spin up - - either the fan motor failed, or more often the grease has solidified or the bearings are in a bit of a bind - it doesn't take much.

I would recommend replacing the fan.

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

What's DOS?
appcain

All,

after testing i can confirm that this happens when the laptop has been sitting off for a while.

i noticed one T410 that was working fine, after it was turned off (not used) for a while , i try to power it up and all the sudden i see the "Fan Error". i then did a BIOS update using a bootable CD which started the fan again but I can't say for sure if the error will re-surface.

i hope the above info will help and maybe lenovo will have a permanent BIOS fix

Thanks,

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,340

sometimes the fan does spin up but the controller on the motherboard failed, which still can give you fan error.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Community Moderator
richk

I don't like blowing into the vents. The dust just goes back inside the machine.
Fanfold Paper
nevsf

I'm having the same problem here. I removed the keyboard and manually started the fan spinning with the tip of a pen, then squirted a bit of very light oil on what I thougth was the bearings of the fan. Seems to be going OK for now, but to be sure I'll not turn it off until I can order a replacement fan.

I just called Lenovo service to see if the'd be of any help... They refused to speak with because I wasn't under warranty and wouldn't give them a credit card. Then I spoke with general Lenovo information and they said they weren't aware of any fan issues on the T410 :-)!

I'm very disappointed that Lenovo is a joke these days, especially their service. The only good thing I can say about Thinkpad laptops (I've had 4 in about 3 years, plus their miserable Thinkpad Tablet which has never worked properly) is that they're so simply built that I can swap out parts pretty easily on my own. 

But I shouldn't have to deal with this crap. It's not like the T410 was a budget laptop when I bought it 1.5 years ago. 

Lenovo, your service is crappy and your premium products break. 

Why should I buy another Lenovo product?

What's DOS?
Chessie

Here is what worked for me- press ESC (and i think that i held it) after you turn on the computer and before the message pops up. I did not have an installation CD so put another CD in just to get the system moving. I tried that 3 times before also entering and holding ESC while it was booting. I'm not sure if the CD part was beneficial or not, just wanted to mention it in case that was part of the equation. I hope that helps!
Community Moderator
richk

hitting esc simply bypasses the error, The fan still doesn't work, so you are likely to cook something expensive
802.11n
kstrid

Hej, did you fix your fan error problem by replacing the fan?

My fan is working every second time I turn the machine on.

Seem to work better when you use the computer and not let it 'rest'....