Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
bluebearr

T410 won't recognize external monitor on KVM

I have a ThinkPad T410 with Windows XP SP3. I've installed the latest Presentation Director (4.55) and the latest Intel HD drivers (6.14.10.5273). If I hook up my external LCD monitor (an HP L2045w) directly from the VGA port on the monitor to the VGA port on the laptop, I can extend my video display to this monitor. However, if I attach the monitor through a KVM switch (a Belkin Omniview E series), I can't. I don't have a dock for this laptop.

The weird thing is that if I set the BIOS so that the external display is the boot display, the external mointor shows the boot screens even when on the KVM switch. I can even get the external display to work on the KVM switch if I boot into Safe Mode. But when I boot into Normal mode while on the KVM switch, the external monitor goes dark as soon as Windows switches video modes, and after I log in I can't extend my display onto the external monitor.

Any ideas?

BlueBearr

Paper Tape
mutabletao

Re: T410 won't recognize external monitor on KVM

I'm having exactly the same problem.. I'm thinking it might be a power issue (the power adapter for the omniview series was optional) - but I've never seen this before, and I'm seeing other external monitor issues crop up... let me know if you find a solution.

Oh, my keyboard and mouse work fine, just not the monitor.

Paper Tape
bluebearr

Yeah, I have the optional power on mine. Keyboard and mouse work on mine as well.

Paper Tape
bluebearr

Even more strange: I have found that when I have something else on the KVM switch (a Toshiba laptop) that is using the monitor, and I switch to the ThinkPad, the monitor briefly displays the background of the ThinkPad desktop before going dark. Very odd.

Paper Tape
vandaladonis

Add one ... I'm having the same problem. I'm using a Trendnet TK-407 KVM switch (4-port, VGA, USB, does not use an external power supply). Regardless of which ports I use, which order I boot the computers, and whether or not I use the docking station, I can't get the external monitor to work with the KVM switch. I'd sure appreciate some help.

Blue Screen Again
grantc3

I have exactly the same problem using an EDIMAX 4 port USB KVM with a Dell monitor.   The switch and monitor work fine with my two other PC's but I just don't get any monitor output when I switch to the T410. (Keyboard and Mouse switch OK and work fine).   If I connect the monitor direct to the T410 and then switch using F7 all is OK.

Any help will be appreciated.

Blue Screen Again
dmonshaw

Has anyone found a solution for this?

Same problem, second monitor works great on a direct connect, but attach it through a switch and no dice.

Has there been any solution posted?

T410, with or without docking station/port replicator ---> Belkin OmniCube  --> 24" flat screen VGA input

The moment I introduce the switch, the whole thing reverts back to single screen.

Lenovo, when will this be fixed????  I've been using this switch with a T60 for 4 years!!!  

dave

Blue Screen Again
dmonshaw

btw -- I am an IBM employee, and this T410 is my new employee workstation. 

This means there are 100,000+ of these T410s rolling out to IBM employees and we're gonna all want it fixed :smileyhappy:

Please take a look at this, it is repeatable 100%

dave

Paper Tape
spc9213

my T410/2537/E41 recognizes the external monitor on my kvm, but drops my display intermittently, then comes back.  It may do it once per 5 minutes, 3 times, one right after the other, and when it comes back, my icons are messed up.  Sometimes I can go a whole day without it happening, but usually happens frequently.  When it drops, it makes the sound like a device was removed, then connects.  It happens all night long as well as it sometimes wakes me up at night.  It's really ticking me off!!

Blue Screen Again
dmonshaw

I'm fairly sure nobody from Lenovo is reading this...    

/sadness