Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
nort410s

Re: T410S w/switchable -> lots of System freezes and screen going blank issues.

ColonelONeill wrote:
The fan hits 8000RPM? O_O

Yes, TPFanControl has a special "64" level which allows the fan to really speed up.. It's probably extremely damaging, but it's necassary. Sadly.

What's a bit interesting, is that even this won't stop the CPU temp from rising when I try to use the ThinkVantage Toolbox. That's a clear indication that something is really, really wrong here....

Guru
ColonelONeill

I never knew TPFC's 64 could send it to 8000. Highest I ever saw was 6000 on a X61.

I think that'd be an indication that the heatsink isn't condcting heat away from the chips properly... Maybe tightening the heatsink will help?
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Paper Tape
Rbowen

Just be glad yours continues to work.

My discrete graphics stopped working. After three phone techs couldn't solve it, they sent out a "tech". Completely inept and didn't fix the machine.

I sent it in to their repair depot. They had NO CLUE. After keeping it for several weeks, they sent it to what they call the "SWAT" team.

They kept it another two weeks, with no information available for anyone. After being told by the customer service reps that they were "keeping an eye on my machine" it just showed up one day at my office, with no explanation.

Just hope you don't have to send your machine in for repair because Lenovo's customer service and repair is HORRIBLE!

Retired Employee
JameZ

@Rbowen,

Has the machine been fixed when you got it back?

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Punch Card
kayson

one month later bump. please fix this! :smileyvery-happy:

What's DOS?
polygon

I've been following this thread for months because I too have been coping with the same issues everyone else has, but now for me at least the problem appears to have been solved.

the overheating and crashing problem was something that only came up in the last couple months for me (gaming or video encoding began to cause system crashes consistently within a few minutes, when previously the system would just slow down).  I took it in for service under warrany a few weeks ago, and the fan was replaced.  I had windows bsod problems as soon as my machine was returned so the tech replaced the motherboard and cpu.  when I had the machine up and running again, no more overheating problems!

my first test was the lenovo toolbox system stress test which would previously crash the machine every time, but now passed without any problems.  to be more specific, when I fist ran the stress test, it would start at around 30 fps, slow down to 15fps after a minute or two, then the system would crash.  now it starts off at 40 fps, and by the end of the test 10 minutes later is running at about 30fps.  I've done video encoding and a bit of gaming without any of the earlier problems.

since the tech replaced the fan, motherboard, and cpu before I could test it,  I don't know what part of that solved the problem.  he did say the new fan was a slightly different design from the original but he didn't recall any specifics other than that.

finally after waiting a year I have a machine that performs as promised.  best of luck to the rest of you.

Paper Tape
wedwo

Our tech at the office replaced heat sink paste on a few machines to solve the issue.

Retired Employee
JameZ

@All,

For those who are having overheating issues with this laptop, kindly contact the service to get the laptop serviced.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Punch Card
nort410s

[ Edited ]

JameZ wrote:
@All,

For those who are having overheating issues with this laptop, kindly contact the service to get the laptop serviced.

//JameZ

@JameZ

1) If the issue has been located and identified, can you please tell us exactly what's wrong with these laptops?

2) Have all the technicians (word wide) been well informed?

...or do they need to figure it out themself? As everyone els, I want this to go as fast and smooth as possible, and I need to be 100% sure that the issue actually will be fixed if I decide to send in the laptop (which will cause a lot of inconvience for me and my business... I'm not really sure how to solve it).

3) I've bought my computer in the US, but I live in Norway - what should I do?

After I sent you the info you requested (and told you I lived in Norway) in a PM, you told me the issue had been escalated to the customer relations team. I haven't heard anything from them. Was they suppose to contact me, or....?

- We deserve some detailed information about this issue, and we need insurance that this actually will be taken care of if we ship our laptops away for service. What about releasing a detailed note with instructions we can attach to the shipment to be sure the technicians get all the info they need?

Paper Tape
wedwo

@JameZ the cost of sending all our laptops in (in the field in India, Africa and the Carribean) is way too prohibitive.  Some countries even have problems with exporting / importing second hand computers.  We used our own tech to simplify things.

That aside, it seems that this is a problem that Lenovo are happy to sweep under the carpet.  Why were buyers of this model not notified by email via the channels?  What's done is done and I'm just thankful my machine is nearing EOL.