Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
coverby

T410i and Microsoft Security Essentials

I have a Thinkpad 410i. My Norton just expired and I am having trouble installing Microsoft Security Essentials. I have contacted Microsoft and their troubleshooting doesn't seem to get the job done either. Does the fact that I have ThinkVantage activated and running with PC Doctor stop it from installing Microsoft Security Essentials?  I do get error code 0x80070643 if that helps as well?

GMAC-R60
Kudos: 161
Solutions: 96

Re: T410i and Microsoft Security Essentials

no that should not have any effect , try saving it to download folder then install

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
802.11n
Ideasmiths

[ Edited ]

coverby wrote:

I have a Thinkpad 410i. My Norton just expired and I am having trouble installing Microsoft Security Essentials. I have contacted Microsoft and their troubleshooting doesn't seem to get the job done either. Does the fact that I have ThinkVantage activated and running with PC Doctor stop it from installing Microsoft Security Essentials?  I do get error code 0x80070643 if that helps as well?

Have you uninistalled Norton? Some antivirus won't let other antivrus software to be installed if it is uninstalled or not uninstalled correctly.

Norton Antivrus IMHO is quite notorous to leave behind 'something' when being uninstalled. google "uninstall norton utility" and follow some of the advise to to uninstall it completely. You can also try to install ccleaner and clean the registry, reboot, and try MSE again.

You can also try to download the trial version of Kaspersky Anti-virus. It will install propertly (and hopefully break the Norton hold on window system security). Then uninstall it and install your MSE.

GMAC-R60
Kudos: 161
Solutions: 96

[ Edited ]

norton works just fine with microsoft security essentials I run three differant antivirus programs on 6 pc none have a problem with MSE the error code is windows installer

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
What's DOS?
coverby

Well with my previous computer I had Norton Corporate. That was a pain to get rid of and I couldn't get anything installed on it until it was completely gone.

Would Windows Defending somehow coflict with Security Essentials?

Punch Card
Jesper_Juul

Does Windows Update work?

Kind Regards
Jesper

T61P and 2*T43P