Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
dsx724

T410s Palmrest Crack - Last Thinkpad Ever

Work purchased a T410s for $1700 in August for me.

LCD vertical band issue within 3 months (4 days of downtime)

Shift key doesn't work well within 6 months (40 days of annoyance)

Palmrest cracking at 7th month. (?)

I'll be lucky if this POS works after a year.

This is my last Thinkpad ever.  My T43 is in better condition to this day than paperweight.  The T43 battery wear is only at 80%.  The battery wear on this T410s is at 87% and I stop charging at 80%, start charging below 50%, never drain it below 20%.

I call tech support and asked for a new palm rest so I can just replace them myself and they told me I had to send it in to see if it's even "covered" under warranty.  I need this for WORK and hence it would completely negate the purpose of the purchase of a business laptop.  I was going to purchase two more for two new employees that we hired but these policies and issues completely reversed all feelings I have about Thinkpads.  

Lenovo, you can only milk the brand for so long before you lose loyal customers like me.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: T410s Palmrest Crack - Last Thinkpad Ever

The T410s is known to be problematic. The T410 and T510 don't suffer from LCD or palmrest issues.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Retired Employee
JameZ

@dsx724,

You could check with them if you could send them a picture of the crack then ask them to send you the palm rest?

If they were to reject that suggestion, then appreciate if you could provide me the following then I will assist you to escalate this issue up to customer relations for their assistance.

PM me if want to send info below.

Name:
Mobile:
Email:
MTM:
S/N:
Date of Purchase:
Case ID if have:

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Blue Screen Again
joeyman9

[ Edited ]

Well I just got off the phone with them and they are sending me a new palmrest.  Had a problem with the keyboard a few weeks ago and they sent me a new one of those two (took 10 minutes to put it in).  They have excellant instruction sheets and video on how to do this and seemed very accomadating to me. 

Disappointing that I had to fix this, but tech support was great and they offered me the option of doing the repair myself or sending it in.  I'm sure this'll go pretty smoothly too.

UPDATE! Jan 23 2012:   Everything went smoothly and I have had no further problems (I'm on my 410s as I write this). 

Guru
PeterTWJ

Hi dsx724

Hopefully your T410s is fine after this 3 incident. If it keeps failing, they could probably change a T420s, T430s (if next year) or other equivalent / higher machines for you.

I believe some other brands also have certain models with a lot of problems and the next release solve the issues.
(e.g. Epson TX110 have flaws, TX120 was released to solve following issues)

It would depends on your luck also, some machines are great, but customers are unlucky to get a lemon set. W510 failed me badly, but W520 serves me well. Anyway, I realized laptop have more driver, bios, etc. issues compared to workstation and desktop. 

Cheers :smileyvery-happy:

Peter

=============================================
Does someone post helps you? Give them a kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve :smileyvery-happy:

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future :smileyvery-happy:

Refunded Set: W510, 4876-A11

Current Set: W520, 4284-A99

Dolby Home Theater v4!:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Lapt​ops/W520-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/m-p/451401#M155... 

What's DOS?
pa555555

Hey,

So my T410S has the same issue.  I have called tech support and they say it is aesthetics and the do not replace these.

How were you able to get a replacement?  Let me know.

Thanks

Adam

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

pa555555 wrote:

Hey,

So my T410S has the same issue.  I have called tech support and they say it is aesthetics and the do not replace these.

How were you able to get a replacement?  Let me know.

Thanks

Adam

Whoever you spoke with is full of it.  I just replaced the palmrest on a T410s last week via warranty support.  You are under warranty, correct?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,229
Solutions: 1,311

Call warranty again and speak to a different tech.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
What's DOS?
jbolan

I just found a crack in my T520 laptop case ...on the keyboard side in the lower left corner right below where they put the "Intel Inside", "Windows 7" and "Lenovo Enhanced Experience" stickers.  Even though the machine is only 4 months old and the crack was not caused by dropping it or any abuse of any kind, my "Enhanced Experience" with Lenovo customer service was to be told that this is a "cosmetic problem"  not covered by my warranty.  When I asked to speak to a supervisor, Derick told me that I could send it in to be repaired, but, I would be charged for the repair work.

This should absolutely be covered by the warranty since it is obviously a defective part or a defect in the manufacturing process but I seem to be getting nowhere with Lenovo customer service.  Does anybody on this forum have any ideas on how I can either 1) escalate this problem to someone at Lenovo who actually wants to stand by their product quality and back their warranty, or 2) send me URLs to all of the Thinkpad consumer ratings sites so that I can warn others not to buy Lenovo products because of their bad product quality, their worthless warranty, and their uncaring customer service?

Punch Card
qpnl

I too have the same problem with my T410s.  There are cracks in three different locaiton on the palm rest.  The tech support told me that "cosmetic" damage is not under warrantee.  The customer service is terrible.  I have always been a loyal Thinkpad user since 1993.  Those 700's models where study and very reliable.  

My company bought 4 new t420 and have various issues with them. I have lost complete confidence in the Thinkpad brand.