Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
elinoir

Re: T410s Palmrest Crack - Last Thinkpad Ever

jbolan wrote:

I just found a crack in my T520 laptop case ...on the keyboard side in the lower left corner right below where they put the "Intel Inside", "Windows 7" and "Lenovo Enhanced Experience" stickers.

I also have a crack in the exact same place. Have any of you got any further pursuing this with warranty? like you and others in this thread I had owned my T* Thinkpad for only a matter of weeks before the crack appeared. I have had no luck in my first contact with IBM NL, they claim it is wear and tear or physical damage and not covered. I have been very careful with my laptop so was stunned to see the crack. I am sure this was not from ' excessive force' on my part.

Broadband 3G
JDay

elinoir wrote:

jbolan wrote:

I just found a crack in my T520 laptop case ...on the keyboard side in the lower left corner right below where they put the "Intel Inside", "Windows 7" and "Lenovo Enhanced Experience" stickers.

I also have a crack in the exact same place. Have any of you got any further pursuing this with warranty? like you and others in this thread I had owned my T* Thinkpad for only a matter of weeks before the crack appeared. I have had no luck in my first contact with IBM NL, they claim it is wear and tear or physical damage and not covered. I have been very careful with my laptop so was stunned to see the crack. I am sure this was not from ' excessive force' on my part.

That is strange since my T510 that is over a year old has not cracked anywhere. The T510 and T520 use the exact same plastic chasis, only difference being the internal parts.

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

JDay wrote:
That is strange since my T510 that is over a year old has not cracked anywhere. The T510 and T520 use the exact same plastic chasis, only difference being the internal parts.

Plastics can change as can suppliers.  I have seen the cracks on my machine and I know for a fact they weren't abuse by me.

SCSI Port
deickos

i understand this situation is very annoying- this is what i did in my T500

i used that great product called Cold Weld - put a relatively big drop of it - then covered with tape and quickly put the palmrest back ( so to take the shape )

this is the result :

http://imageshack.us/f/39/dsc00830h.jpg/

from what i saw inside the tape the glue is quite thick - maybe 1mm

after applying some pressure on the palmrest on that same spot i couldn't find the crack

Punch Card
elinoir

[ Edited ]

I have good news, my cracked palmrest was finally replaced :smileyvery-happy:.

My case was referred to another IBM department, I had to send more pictures and it was finally decided it would be repaired. I actually had two problems - the cracked palmrest and the bezel around the screen appeared to be loose in the top right corner.

See pics here.

On some of the pictures of the crack you can see evidence of a small worn area in the corner - which I guess is where the small lumps on the top of the screen bezel press against the palmrest. I have read elsewhere that these small bumps might be the culprit..?

The screen surround doesn't look too bad but could be depressed at least a mm, which means it could easily catch on something. The left side was nice and solid.

There were a few problems getting the repair once it was agreed (no opportunity to change address so I had to stay at home on day of collection, collection was attempted a day early when I was at work, initially only one repair attempted - unit was returned to me with the crack still, no communication during second repair attempt). However, I probably am a bit too intolerant and the IBM rep I dealt with was really helpful. It was collected the next day after the failed first repair attempt and both times came back promptly.

So, it is back now and all seems well... I must admit I am pretty scared to move it from my desk now though, I don't want to go through that again :smileywink:. Sitting on a desk is not really what a laptop is usually bought for though.

I use a laptop rucksack when I travel, maybe a sleeve as well would help? - although I think the problem is pressure not knocks.

HDMI
-30-

I'll just chime in here and say that my T410s has been a total joy; no cracks, squeaks, groans, ill fitting parts, nothing!

When moving my machine, I use both hands for opening/closing, and side carry (both hands) when laying it in my Haliburton

case. (Soft cases/backpacks don't cut-it for me.) When moving about, I hold it as if it were a book, with the hinge area in my

palm. I have on occasion seen people transporting their computers by gripping a corner or even worse just by the screen.

They are just asking for trouble. Also, "next day, on site service", if ever required, can be a life saver.

Regards.

I love my LENOVO.
T 410s, WIN 7, 128 SSD, 64 Ult.

I do not work for LENOVO.
Punch Card
elinoir

[ Edited ]

Thanks -30-. I will look into a Halliburton case [- or not, I have just seen the prices! I am carry a good quality laptop, designed to be portable, not a bomb! :smileywink:].

I must have been simply unlucky. Many people do not encounter these issues, very likely with worse treatment of their thinkpads, and Lenovo accepted my case as a warranty issue. Given the prevelance of this quite specific palmrest issue in T models (and I know of cases in X-models), in a matter of weeks after purchase, I wonder whether there is something that has changed recently with material / design that has affected some more than other machines (maybe it is something as simple as tightness of screws in some cases). But I am certainly no expert and only have my own experience to comment from.

Hopefully now I have the repair my Lenovo experience will be as positive as yours :smileyhappy:.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

My T400s has been sent in for a palmrest repair again. I think it is a factor of design and material used.

T420s improved on both of these areas to make it a much better and sturdier machine.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
elinoir

they must have passed it on the the T520s instead :smileywink:

HDMI
-30-

[ Edited ]

My T410s was manufactured 2010 - 06 - 12. (y,m,d.)

Shipped from Lenovo Information Products Co Ltd,

Integrated Shung Hing, Building 2.

Shenzhen, China.

Regards.

I love my LENOVO.
T 410s, WIN 7, 128 SSD, 64 Ult.

I do not work for LENOVO.