Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Re: T410s Palmrest Crack - Last Thinkpad Ever

lead_org wrote:
My T400s has been sent in for a palmrest repair again. I think it is a factor of design and material used.

T420s improved on both of these areas to make it a much better and sturdier machine.

You sent the entire machine to repair a palmrest? 

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

yes, because in Australia T400s palmrest is not a CRU replacement unit.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

lead_org wrote:
yes, because in Australia T400s palmrest is not a CRU replacement unit.

That's crazy.  I've replaced one on a T400 and two on T410S's and never shipped a machine.  They shipped me the piece of plastic and I shipped back the defective units.

andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

ThorsHammer wrote:

That's crazy.  I've replaced one on a T400 and two on T410S's and never shipped a machine.  They shipped me the piece of plastic and I shipped back the defective units.

Officially the palmrest, according to the hardware Maintenance Manuals for the relevant systems, is not a CRU, please check me on this in case I misunderstood the "N" in the CRU column.

It seems you were lucky and reached a sympathetic CSR on the occasions when you needed to replace that particular part, maybe you persuaded them otherwise - dunno.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

andyP wrote:

ThorsHammer wrote:

Officially the palmrest, according to the hardware Maintenance Manuals for the relevant systems, is not a CRU, please check me on this in case I misunderstood the "N" in the CRU column.

It seems you were lucky and reached a sympathetic CSR on the occasions when you needed to replace that particular part, maybe you persuaded them otherwise - dunno.

In all three cases I had digital pictures of the issue and described the problem accurately.  In all three cases the CSRs were smart enough to realize I am competent with a screwdriver and the other tools to tear down a machine and put it back together without screwing up ribbon cables and other matters.  Shipping a plastic part that weighs less than a pound in these three cases was the smart option.  And it didn't risk shipping damage to an expensive electronic device.

What's really crazy is that lead_org probably has more ThinkPads than most people have underwear.  Combine that with the fact he's a mod on two popular forum areas, a Microsoft MVP, and the Lenovo Australian Ambassador, it's crazy he can't be trusted with a plastic palmrest replacement.  That's just dumb.

Rules are made to be broken.  Thankfully the CSRs I talked to in Atlanta had common sense.

SCSI Port
tg2708

i have the same issue with mine basically the same place where you have yours?

Paper Tape
brandy

Honestly guys what do you expect? Thinkpad is not IBM anymore. Its a chinese brand.

I bought a T520 last year and this is my first and last Thinkpad.

The quality is absolutely terrible. The rugged touchpad is nothing more then small drops of glue over it. You can remove then by just slightly going with your fingernails over them. I noticed my has lost all of them in the center, at first there where white spots there, and I though it was dirty but its the actuall glue that does not stick.

I mean honestly who came up with this design? From the logs you would assume its build into the material but its not. Its just a visual gimmick, and this is suppose to be from wet hands and on dirty enviroments as advertised? It cannot even stand fingernails and I have them very short....

The external monitor VGA flickers, not any other laptop I have does this.

The laptop makes a strange ticking noise when its on a vertical position, like in a laptop stand.

The AudioSmart never worked for me. All the issues I mention are from day one, after opening the box, and I have this laptop for 11 months now.

The trackpoint stops also suddently to work when you have the laptop in a vertical position it just freezes and you need to lever the laptop again. Example, if you are on bed and have them on your legs on a vertical position, the trackpoint becomes very unresponsive.

The screen has a  bright spot which appeared after 2 months of use. Very light use as I have an external monitor.

The battery on the back does not fit correctly like in other laptops.

The DVD button on the side, is just ultra sensitive, everytime to grab the laptop it opens itself, its just so sensitive that opens itself by just touching the side lighlty, very annoying to the point I remove it completely.

The software is absolutely terrible, I could never make the smartaudio panel to open. The other thinktools and power manager, etc, I had to disable most of them because they are terrible on performance, not to mention they try to connect to the Internet like 10 times a day, why? I don´t know.

The Conection Security optio gives a TPM error on each restart, so I had to remove it as well. The access connections is more or less the only that works Ok, not great but works.

The fingerprint reader takes ages to load, to the point that you can log like 1 minute faster to Windows by just using your password account. It takes like 1 minute for the fingerprint reader to load on boot, so its useless to log in with fingerprint.

The rapid boot is also pure gimmick and marketing. My laptop takes like 2 minutes to load from a cold boot, it take 4 with rapid boot. And honestly do you think they can make Window better? If you could make the load so much faster, Microsoft would put this on their software. I read people on t420 have a good experience with this but I can honestly say I noticed that the systems loads way slower on my T520 with rapid boot installed. Most of the software from Lenovo is just very bad.

Sure, all this errors are more or less ok, but for a 500$ Acer laptop. I imagined that paying 1200$ for a business laptop I would get premium quality and Im ultra highly disappointed with this laptop. It has so many problems I never had other laptops and honestly I cannot feel the supposed quality  for the price tag.

I have to mention that I got 0 support for any of this issues form Lenovo so far, besides this community. They make it as hard as possible on their website to contact them.

I wil keep this laptop one or two years more. Then I will surely not buy Thinkpad ever again. I planned to roll secure laptops on my business for the staff, with drive encryption, TPM, etc. So this is why this laptop was my first choice. If it worked ok I would have purchased other 50 thinkpads. But after my personal experience I will probably go with another brand. Sadly no other companies seems to be focused on business or corporated markets, but the Asus business edition is so far my best choice.

Im very sad to have posted this. But this is how I feel about the Thinkpad brand.

Paper Tape
kena

Hi JameZ!

I have similar problem with my brand new T430s. I tried contacting the support and they closed my case as not covered by the warranty.

I had my ThinkPad for less than 10 days in which I barely moved it and have not dropped it once. Can you please assist me getting some asistance from Lenovo's support?

Paper Tape
kena

andyP,

I got a short answer Lenovo will not replace my T430s palmrest for free. Is there any chance to prove the crack just shown up one morning there? It could have been material defect or similar.

Bit Torrent
tripplec

kena wrote:

Hi JameZ!

I have similar problem with my brand new T430s. I tried contacting the support and they closed my case as not covered by the warranty.

I had my ThinkPad for less than 10 days in which I barely moved it and have not dropped it once. Can you please assist me getting some asistance from Lenovo's support?

I push back and escalate this. Plastic is and can be very very tough even more so than aluminum used on some laptops. They are using some cheap brittle plastic and not stand behind the product. The plastic should never crack or breaking in its lifetime. It seems the smaller 400 series is more prone to junk plastic but from reading. The T530 are also getting some garbage cases. Clearly the Chinese are not getting it.

Maybe they should rename the ThinkPad to ChinPad. IBM must be rolling over in disbelief. Well there is HP and Dell but I don't like online only purchases of technology. I like to see test and look over a system. Most HP systems are available through various VAR's who also back you if there is a dispute.

PS: Its 10 days only you can return it. You received it cracked and only just notice it when the crack spread.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
Intel Sandy Bridge & Nvidia NVS 4200M graphics Intel N 6300 Wi-Fi adapter
Windows 7 Home Prem - 64bit w/8GB DDR3