Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
apple5868

T410s fan

I got my T410s last week. The brand new machine is perfect except for the fan noise. The fan continue running never stop no matter what battery model I select. The fan make more noise than my old T40. What's the problem?

HDMI
houtsma

Re: T410s fan

I hardly hear mine. I even think it's not running normally, except when watching a movie i can hear it spinning silently after a while. How is your processor load when it spins? Do you see high CPU % maybe due to some hidden process or anything that starts up when booting windows?

If not i would have it checked!

--

jan

--- Lenovo Thinkpad t440p (20AN-CT01WW) + SAMSUNG MZ7TD512HAGM-000L1 SSD + 16G SDRAM + 14.0FHD 1920x1080 ---
Punch Card
apple5868

The cpu only loads 5% to 20%. The cpu for this machine is i-5 2.4GHz. The system is pretty clean I think.

Punch Card
ilernen

Try TPFanControl. In Smart Mode, you never have to think about the fan anymore.

--
Thinkpad experience since 1999: 600E | X40 | R51 | R60 | X60s | 410s.
T410s: i5 M520 | 4GB RAM | 128 GB Samsung SSD | Intel Graphics | Win 7 Pro 64-bit | Ultrabay battery
What's DOS?
c_hother

Just revived my T410s two days ago. I to have noticed significant fan noise, but only when the power cable is connected. There is hardly any noise running on battery - and this is regardless of CPU usages - even on maximum performance. But as soon as the power cable is connected - the fan is turned on! there is no detectable temp increase using TCfancontrole as suggested, nor is the temp of the battery any were near high (below 30 C). I have of course the same settings int the powermanagment tool for both battery and power cable! Must be either a sensor not detected by the fancontrole program or some peculiarity of the power management tool? any suggestions? it should not be necessary to run a third party program on such a new computer!!!

Punch Card
apple5868

Yes, the fan noise for T410s is definitely annoying. TPfan can control the fan speed. But what are those thinkpad engineers doing?  The " dynamic noise reduction" in the power manager is a very stupid design. It doesn't work at all and only turn on and off the fan repeatly which makes more terrible noise. What I want is that the fan will keep still when I don't use the laptop heavily. But it seem that the fan will continue running at 4000r if it start running and never stop even I do nothing on my computer. The cooling system is worse than my old T40.

Fanfold Paper
muskie49

I have a 410s with discrete graphics chip. My fan is dead silent, to the point that I worry that it's not working when it needs to. When I run video unplugged, the back left bottom heats up considerably, to the point where I get concerned that the fan should be on. When I plug the unit in, the fan immediately cools the machine. I can disable the discrete chip and that does cool things down, but I suspect there is a better way using Thinkvantage to manage the heat issue when I'm unplugged.. Have not found yet..

Serial Port
Patryk

Hi, I have strange experience with t410s. I've bought two identical units namely: 2904-FXG (i5 520M, Samsung 126GB, Intel HD, all updates installed, latest bios etc.), the only difference is that one of the have 4 GB of RAM (the other 2 GB).

And now the interesting part. One of the units is running completely fanless, the other almost full fan speed lock (4000 RPM). I've synced settings in power manager on both t410s and the situation stays the same.

And now, go figure what is going on!

Serial Port
Patryk

I've just finished one more experiment. Switched the ssd on machines... It turns out that ssd from quiet unit hasn't changed behavior of loud one. It's not the system/win7 issue. It's BIOS (but units have same rev.). Maybe some fault during assembly?

LENOVO can you hear me? What's wrong with your quality checks. Why the units vary between one another. This is 2000 EUR/pcs. hardware!

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

Patryk wrote:

I've just finished one more experiment. Switched the ssd on machines... It turns out that ssd from quiet unit hasn't changed behavior of loud one. It's not the system/win7 issue. It's BIOS (but units have same rev.). Maybe some fault during assembly?

LENOVO can you hear me? What's wrong with your quality checks. Why the units vary between one another. This is 2000 EUR/pcs. hardware!

they only a run brief diagnostic on the system to make sure there is no hardware error, but i don't think they check noises as such. Just call in Lenovo and ask them to change the fan/heatsink unit.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft