Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
Iucounu

Re: T420 DVD eject button - terrible placement; driving me insane

I'm also having terrible trouble with the T420 DVD drive popping open.  I tried the Toddler Keys kludge and it didn't work (properly speaking, it worked only once to disable the door during testing, and after re-enabling the door, changing the Toddler Keys settings did nothing).

The design of this DVD door and button is poor beyond belief.  It sticks out so that whenever the side of the laptop gently brushes against anything, the door pops open.

With the extremely poor implementation of the touchpad, I am bordering on wishing that I chose a different model.  All Lenovo would have to do is have actual users use their produts in testing to realize such glaring flaws.

Retired Employee
JameZ

@All,

We are currently discussing the options for this with the engineers in Japan. Appreciate everyone's patience on this.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Paper Tape
jthao

We're seeing the same issue on our T420's as well. It's very annoying. A simple re-design similar to the T400 is all that's needed but a software fix would be helpful, too. A quick resolution to this issue is much needed.
Fanfold Paper
NCGooner

The CEO of my company just opened a ticket for this same issue.  Any word on a fix for this?  I can't come back to him with an answer that it is poor placement...get used to it....and I think installing toddlerkeys would be an insult to him.  

Punch Card
Iucounu

JameZ wrote:
@All,

We are currently discussing the options for this with the engineers in Japan. Appreciate everyone's patience on this.

//JameZ

JameZ, any word on when this might be fixed?  Thanks for your time.

802.11n
biznatch

I have a T420 and a W520 and have this issue with both, I would also like some news about a possible fix.  Maybe they'll ship everyone a new drive!  Unlikely...  The double tap to open would I guess work, although I use Windows and Ubuntu so I hope whatever the solution is, it's not Windows only.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
W520 i7-2720QM | 32 GB RAM 1333 MHz | FHD 1920x1080 | Quadro 1000M | Windows 7 & Ubuntu 12.04
256 GB Crucial M4 mSATA + 2 x 1 TB Hitachi Travelstar 7200 rpm | BIOS 1.38
Retired Employee
JameZ

@All,

The team are still discussing on the options on how to prevent the DVD rom from opening if the eject button was accidentally pressed.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Paper Tape
ozphoenix

Count me as another - love the T420 -- hate the DVD popping open all the time :smileysad:

Paper Tape
ozphoenix

Tried several DVD locks (on Win 7 64-bit):

Toddler Keys

Child Lock

CDLocker

Child Proof

No joy - door opens with slightest bump of the door switch - and sometimes (I think) when no hands are near it :smileysad:

802.11n
CorkyG

[ Edited ]

Been following this thread with interest. The optical drive release on the 410/510 series was very secure - impossible to release accidentally. It requires that all cables be disconnected and the laptop turned over. Then one had to push on two separate buttons at the same time in different directions. This illustrates:

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Corky-G/510latch.jpg

Perhaps Lenovo received complaints that it was too difficult. I like it just fine. Too bad they improved the design. BTW - the best release was on the T60/61 series.