Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
Onan

Re: T420 DVD eject button - terrible placement; driving me insane

I am also waiting for Lenovo's engineering department to come up with a solution.

I had a T61 before this, and had no issues with the optical drive popping open (and then i replaced it with an extra battery, since CDs are a rarity now)..

This design flaw with the T420 is driving me nuts.. it may seem like a small thing, but it's an unnecessary annoyance that damages the Thinkpad brand (which used to represent quality & thoughtful design)

Fanfold Paper
gleapman

[ Edited ]

Good grief, has Lenovo abandoned the tried, true and tested 14" platform of the past as the workhorse and flagship in favour of 15" barely-portable workstations...

Hey icantux, I have the T520 and the DVD tray pops open on it as well.  Got the T520 to replace a 4-1/2 year old HP nc8430 that had the same issue.  At least I have lots of practice constantly shutting the tray.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
pduan

Any updates on this issue? It's been over 4 months since we've heard anything from IBM.
Paper Tape
ed123

Betreff: T420 DVD eject button - terrible placement; driving me insane

I wrote LockCD application after giving up on finding a properly functioning software that would lock the CD ROM eject button which i hit quite frequently on my Lenovo T520 laptop. The main problem with the software found over the internet was that it wouldn't retain the lock state after Sleep/Resume. I made it freely available at http://sourceforge.net/p/lockcd/wiki/Home/

What's DOS?
cliffcu

Add me to the list of those frustrated by the DVD button placement. I have been using Thinkpads since the T21.

I tried the LockCD application but it does not show me any DVD palyers that I can lock. Do I have to have a CD in the drive for this to be visible? If so, then I will uninstall the application.

I saw multiple posts about the Japan team looking into this. Did they give up?

Regards - Cliff Cummings

Paper Tape
ed123

Hmm, LockCD enumerates CD drives by using the standard Windows API, and if system sees the CD drive, LockCD most probably will see it as well.

You don't have to put any CD in the drive. Just make sure Windows Explorer can access the drive.

Could you please cantact me by this e-mail: lockcdfeedback@gmail.com

Please send me info on your system and a sceenshot of LockCD to find out what the problem might be.

Paper Tape
esp3tek

hello, i've used these tools, but after reboot (and in start folder) they don't work... i have to open and remove the lock unit and add it again.

Paper Tape
esp3tek

I've solved the problem thanks to Toddler Keys, is the only app that maintains the button locked after the reboots

http://tk.ms11.net/ 

topmahof
Topics: 36
Kudos: 327
Solutions: 223

Punch Card
Iucounu

T420 = my last Lenovo computer, ever

Even though I'm a long-time Thinkpad user, I am not one to gripe about loss of fabled build quality from the old days.  My perception is that the build quality on models has actually improved in some ways.

My main complaint, though, is that the attention to customer needs has really gone down.  As an example, Lenovo has essentially ignored customer complaints about the DVD tray popping out constantly.  This is a well-known issue reported by tons of customers, and it happens constantly due to the extremely poor placement of the eject button. Here is a thread on this very board about it: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T420-DVD-eject-button-terrible-placement-dr...

This highlights several problems:

1.  Even a monkey could have found the design problem in testing, but Lenovo somehow still proceeded to production with this glaring flaw.

2.  Lenovo could have easily fixed the problem with either an update to the DVD drive or a driver update that would allow temporarily disabling the button, but chose to do nothing for an extended period.

3.  Lenovo made repeated statements to customers that it was working on the problem.  It is now apparent after an extended period of inactivity on the issue, and non-response to further customer reports, that Lenovo is not really working on a fix at all.

I don't like being treated this way, as a customer.  It's partly the extreme annoyance with the drive and partly extreme annoyance with the company, but no matter how wonderful a new ThinkPad looks, I won't be buying in the future.