Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
elrogg

T420 External Microphone Problem

My company just bought T420's.  We need to use external, broadcast quality microphones, and I bought the Headset Buddy splitter cable suggesed by several users as a way to use the iPad like combo headset/mic port.  However, that cable failed to solve the problem.

When I go into recording devices, the only device listed by Windows 7 is the internal microphone.  There appears to be no drivers for the external microphone/headset port...nor any drivers for an internal recording device other than the internal microphone.  Does anyone know how I can solve this?

Thank you,

Elrogg

Guru
ExJamJus

Re: T420 External Microphone Problem

elrogg,

I assume you have tried the splitter with several other T420s and you are getting the same results as well. Have you tried it with an iPad headphones with mic? As in not using the splitter but a headphone which is designed with the mic type. Just thought to narrow down if its a splitter issue?

Also the T420s Win 7 you are using is a Lenovo Pre-load or your own company's image?
*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y2P (i5) ... Feel free to ping me if you want me to test some applications with your Y2P if you have the same model. I don't mind keep doing recovery on it if needed .... =)
Fanfold Paper
elrogg

Unfortunately I don't have access to an iPad.  I have tried several splitter cables and none of them work and I have tried them on several T420s with no joy, but all of them have been imaged by my company.   That leads to your next question on the Windows 7 install.  I know we use an Avid image...I am checking to see if that goes on top of Lenovo's Windows 7 or does it do something more invasive. 

I have a Windows 7 Toshiba with the old standard mic port.  When I plug in the external mic, it defaults to that.  So on the Lenovo I clicked on the "listen to" function on the internal mic causing feedback and when I plug in the splitter cable, it mutes the mic, just like it should.  However, when I go to record, it is still using the internal mic. 

I will get back to you shortly on the Windows 7 question, that could be the problem. 

Thanks for your help.

Elrogg

Fanfold Paper
elrogg

We do image these computers completely, with an Avid build that includes Windows 7.  Is there anything I can do to add support for the combo port?   I have the latest Conexant drivers, but I suspect that there is something now missing from Windows 7 that handles the port. 

Guru
ExJamJus

[ Edited ]

@elrogg,

I tried my T420 with a headphones with mic which I got bundled with the Galaxy Nexus .. I plugged it into the laptop and it did not list the headphones or external mic however the sound is going to the headphones and the mic is picking up from the one on the headset.

I checked the mic settings and the "listen to device" is not ticked.

Have you tested with a default Lenovo preload T420?

Also you mentioned Avid image, is that the software you use to record the audio? Can you try the Win 7 sound recorder and see if it works there? Tried applications such as Skype?

Thanks

*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y2P (i5) ... Feel free to ping me if you want me to test some applications with your Y2P if you have the same model. I don't mind keep doing recovery on it if needed .... =)
Fanfold Paper
elrogg

I did try it with windows audio recorder and it did not work...the mic is just not recognized.  Other people on this forum have had success with the splitter cable so I suspect that the T420 preload works for this mic port...and when we reimage we lose that support. 

What I am wondering is if there is anything we can do to get the external mic support back in for the combo port...any sort of patch we can run. 

Avid is a video editing program. 

Strangely enough I have just figure out that the external mic port on the docking station works fine, but that is a standard mic port. 

Thanks

Guru
ExJamJus

elrogg,

The recording driver would be the one bundled with audio driver, since you have installed the driver, so am sure it wouldn't be a software issue.

Is it possible to take one of the T420 there and restore the Lenovo Preload? Maybe we can narrow down if this is a hardware issue or a software issue?

Thanks.
*Non Lenovo employee*