Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
jflispart

T420 - Intel Wireless and Windows XP issue?

Has anyone else seen any issues with using the Intel Wireless Advanced-N 6205 card on Windows XP? I have a 4178-6UU and it will work for a while, then just stop receiving packets, but will not disconnect even though it doesn't work and I am no longer able to ping it.

I have the latest driver available from Intel and Lenovo (14.0.1.2), and also the latest BIOS (1.22). Unfortunately, I have to have XP/SP3 on these T420's. Any suggestions or is anyone else seeing any issues?

Punch Card
jflispart

Re: T420 - Intel Wireless and Windows XP issue?

Quick update:

Tried installing the older driver (14.0.0.113) and it seemed to do a little better, but after letting it sit idle for a few minutes it stopped working again.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Try going into Device Manager, finding the device, and setting Roaming Aggressiveness to lowest?
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Punch Card
jflispart

I didn't try roaming to lowest, but I set power management to highest and it didn't help.

I think I may have found a solution in setting the wireless mode to 802.11b and 802.11g only. It has been stable for about 20 minutes after that change, while still on the older driver. I'm going out to get a quesadilla and will come back in a bit. If it is still stable I'll set those options on production units and free them of network cables.

This could come down to being an issue with the network environment in which I am using the laptop, but wanted to keep this posted if others have similar issues using this configuration.

Punch Card
jflispart

Within only a few minutes of posting that last one I went to tell a co-worker of the fix. As I was telling him, it stopped working again. So, the changes I made in the last post don't seem to help any. Will keep researching.

What's DOS?
sogc

Have you solved this issue? If so how? I think I may have the same issue. I don't understand all terminology in the post such as "ping", so I can't be certain if it is exactly the same issue. Also I use Windows 7 Pro. However in certain locations but not all, my wireless capabilities are horrible. The same locations that worked just fine with my Dell E6400, that I recently switched from are not working on my lenovo T420 4178-6UU. The internet access is constantly loss and I have to reconnect over and over again throughout the work day. HELP!!!! (SN: This keyboard is the best I have ever worked on, I don't think I will ever buy a different kind of PC, that is if I can resolve this wireless issue).

Punch Card
jflispart

This was resolved with the latest wi-fi driver from Intel. Lenovo and the TVSU don't always have the latest, but after getting the driver from Intel's site it was fine.

Sorry, just now caught up and remembered I posted here!