Support in other languages: 
SFR
Blue Screen Again
SFR

Re: T420 SSD 8MB Error on *Current* 4PC1LE04 Firmware. Help / Advice / Report Bug.

Tipplec:

Yeah, that is why I have been so concerned that there is a bug which is going unaddressed. What about the others.

I just tried to flash in a different machine for giggles, and of course it didn't make a difference. I secured wiped the drive and partition size went back to the normal 160GB. So the drive will work fine, until the bug triggers again...

I appreciate your input on rolling back. I have actually discussed this with the IT manager and we'll see what he determines. Fortunately I work for a very understanding company. They know that this is not an IT mistake so much as bad luck with drives and an OEM who has yet to release a proper fix.

The problem is by no means resolved and I am going to continue working on a resolution, and also attempt to re-create the bug if possible. Someone over on the Intel boards said that HP has released a firmware update for these drives which is slightly more current and also addresses this problem, and it may be able to be hacked out of it's HP casing and applied universally to these drives - be them from Lenovo or directly from Intel. I'm flirting with the idea of giving that a shot.

Bit Torrent
tripplec

Re: T420 SSD 8MB Error on *Current* 4PC1LE04 Firmware. Help / Advice / Report Bug.

This doesn't have anything to do with that SATA and Sandy Bridge bug that trigger a big recall of some sort early last year. I am not certain what they actually fixed. I know I am using the QM67 chipset (hope that not an issue). But this begs the question why does intel not have the fix and another OEM not in the HD or SSD business does have a fix/update such as HP?

Well can the user shed any light on what they were doing when their system went south? Was the drive pretty full? Good Luck!!!
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
Intel Sandy Bridge & Nvidia NVS 4200M graphics Intel N 6300 Wi-Fi adapter
Windows 7 Home Prem - 64bit w/8GB DDR3
Fanfold Paper
thebitguru

For what it's worth, one of our T520 (4239CTO) with that exact 160GB Intel 320 SSD model and firmware had this same issue last week.  The user reported something with a "delete error," but ignored it when it happened hoping that it would just fix itself.  I am working on secure wiping it right now.

I have the same concerns as you, we have several laptops with similar configuration :smileysad:

nibs
Topics: 43
Kudos: 143
Solutions: 39

I have a retail Intel 320 160GB SSD, purchased prior to the published acknowledgement of the 8MB bug. My first drive experienced the bug in the first week that I owned it and was exchaged for the drive that I currently have. The first time the bug lost all of my data was on a restart to apply an upgrade -- not an improper shutdown. The drive I have now has been updated with Intel's Toolbox and is on the current firmware for this drive. My laptop type is also a 4177-CTO.

My Firmware version is reported as 4PC10362 and seems to be the current retail version according to Intel. This is different from the firmware version that you are having a problem with. I so I wonder if the issue is with changes Intel made after the 8MB bug was reported in the drives resulting in different firmware, or if its an issue with Lenovo's in-house firmware.

While it might seem like voodoo, if you need to recover important information on the drive, then I recommend you turn the machine off, remove the drive and allow it to sit for 4+ hours. Then put the drive back in the machine and power back up. With the original 8MB bug this occasionally seemed to bring the drive back long enough to recover data. As soon as the machine was turned off, the drive will generally return to 8MB status. You can try this without the wait, but it seemed to work best for me that way. I did this to the one that originally failed on me and I was able to recover data. If you do this too much, you may eventually brick the drive. After I recovered the data on mine, I tried to access it again and it just stopped showing up entirely. As far as the machine was concerned, there was no drive plugged in.

It is depressing to me that the 8MB bug might be back and I hope Lenovo or Intel can provide some more answers to you about the issue soon.

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.

My TPs: Twist 2HU: i5-3317U Win 8 Pro, 4GB RAM 250GB Samsung 840 | T420 4177CTO: i5-2520M, HD+, Win 7 Pro x64, 8GB RAM, Optimus, 160GB Intel 320 SSD, Intel 6300 WiFi, BT 3.0 | T400 2764CTO: P8700, WXGA, Win 7 Ult x64, AMD 3470, 8GB RAM, 64GB Samsung SSD, BT, Intel 5300 WiFi | A20m 14.1" PIII 500 (retired). Monitors: 2x Dell U2211h IPS 100% sRGB calibrated w/ Spyder3.
Fanfold Paper
thebitguru

The first thing I tried was unplugging the drive and then plugging it back in, but that didn't change anything in my case (i.e. no temporary life :smileysad:).  I have the drive restored and system rebuilt.  It seems to be running OK so far, updates installed without an issue.

I also tried updating to the latest 4PC10362 firmware available on intel's website, but, just like the OP, the utility claimed that I already had the latest firmware installed (4PC1LE04).

Paper Tape
Tratos

Hello everybody,

We have many Lenovo T420s notebooks with SSD drives Intel from Lenovo (as OEM) in our company. Some of this has 4PC1LE04 firmware and some of this 4PC1LE05 firmware. I would like to prevent data loss on 4PC1LE04 drives.

Unfortunately I haven’t found the 4PC1LE05 firmware to download. But I have found 4PC1LE06 firmware on Lenovo support site.

I would like to ask you if 4PC1LE06 firmware resolve 8MB bug. Does anybody have more information about this firmware?

Thank you.

What's DOS?
granadav6

Will You , please , share a link where you have found this 4PC1LE06 firmware?
I have a 4PC1LE04 drive bricked with 8Mb bug and I want to test this new firmware you have mentioned.
Thanks
Paper Tape
Tratos

Hello granadav6,

You can find the LE06 firmware on this link:

http://download.lenovo.com/express/HT074473.html

I've upgraded some drives and no issue yet. But for sure, it is at your own risk.

Best regards,

T.