Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
mcs_dodo

T420 Ultrabay HDD turn off

Recently, i have bought ultrabay adapter and put an addiotional HDD in it. My question is, how to turn this disc OFF when i dont need it. I know that my NB has automatically turned DVDrom off, when not using it, but now i can hear HDD still rotating (which is quite noisy, as i have replaced build-in hdd with SSD)

______________________________________________________________________________________________
T420 i7-2620M, 8GB RAM, NVS 4200M 1GB, OCZ Agility 3 SSD 120 GB + 500 GB HDD in Ultrabay, Windows 8.1 Ultimate 64bit
Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Re: T420 Ultrabay HDD turn off

Flip Lenovo Power Manager to Advanced mode.  Look under the Idle Timers section.

Punch Card
mcs_dodo

I have already set Stop hdd rotation after 30secs. But it spontaneously starts even when im not working with it. I was wondering if there is way to simply turn it off and on, when i want to.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
T420 i7-2620M, 8GB RAM, NVS 4200M 1GB, OCZ Agility 3 SSD 120 GB + 500 GB HDD in Ultrabay, Windows 8.1 Ultimate 64bit
Guru
Mornsgrans

Betreff: T420 Ultrabay HDD turn off

"Soft"-eject ist by the "Eject"-icon in the system tray.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Punch Card
mcs_dodo

but how to "soft insert" again ? :smileyhappy:

802.11n
CorkyG

I prefer hardware solutions.  Just pop the Ultrabay out.  To reenable, pop it back in.  I leave mine alone in the T510 - it makes no noticeable noise. (Seagate Momentus XT, 500 GB.)

Guru
Mornsgrans

mcs_dodo schrieb:

but how to "soft insert" again ? :smileyhappy:

Just found but not tested:

try "RestartSrDev" from http://www.uwe-sieber.de/drivetools_e.html

My ThinkPad-Collection
Punch Card
mcs_dodo

does it not affect battery life ?

Guru
Mornsgrans

As i had written above: I didn't test it.

If i see it right, this program does not run in the background. You  should  disable  the UAC for testing and run it as administrator under Windows 7.

My ThinkPad-Collection
802.11n
icantux

[ Edited ]

Just out of curiosity, you have a 9.5mm ultrabay hdd caddy for your machine which has a 12.7mm bay height slot, or did you purchase some third-party hdd caddy?? If it's the 9.5mm Lenovo accessory, doesn't the caddy move around in there? I've read many reports of the 9.5mm hdd caddy not connecting properly, or disconnecting when moving the machine around, not to mention leaving an unsightly gap.

Really surprised that Lenovo decided to implement this new bay slot height (12.7mm) on the T420 - why not just stay with 9.5mm bay like in previous years considering the same is also on other current machines???  The new optical bay slot size forced placement of the release mechanism on the bottom of the machine which is virtually inaccessible when the laptop is sitting on a table/lap, instead of retaining a spring/latch release mechanism for ejecting bay accessories (hdd caddy, optical drive). Really bizarre.

Good grief, as it stands now, that huge 12.7mm high slot has room to accommodate a slot-load dvd unit AND a removable hdd caddy (could have been a 7mm)! Now THAT I would understand... Would make the T420 a killer machine filled with storage options!!