Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
english-team

T420 problem: Cursor jumping around

Hello everyone, I have a new T420s. Whenever I type a text the cursor jumps around which is very annoying. I have already deactivated the touchpad but the problem persists. What can I do to solve it?

Many thanks,

Torsten

Paper Tape
english-team

Re: T420 problem: Cursor jumping around

Nobody any ideas? Am I the only one with this problem? Do I need to send this Thinkpad back and get a decent laptop from Dell or any other manufacturere? Maybe all Lenovo products are as faulty as mine? 

Blue Screen Again
C5hieldz

i dont think its hardware failure... im geussing ur running windows. and its mosr likly a windows problem... so if no one has a solution try reinstalling windows.
Guru
ExJamJus

English-team,

Try updating the BIOS, then do a reset factory default on the BIOS.

Also after you deactivate the touchpad, does the mouse cursor moves if you try using the touchpad?

//JamJus
*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y2P (i5) ... Feel free to ping me if you want me to test some applications with your Y2P if you have the same model. I don't mind keep doing recovery on it if needed .... =)
What's DOS?
sbaro

We have the same problem with a T420s (4174-P5G).

The cursor jumps 2-3 times per minute to the right. This happens in Office and Windows itself (for example Explorer).

This is very annoying and makes writing very frustrating.

It happens when using an external mouse whether the notebook is in the docking station or used "normally".

Disabling the touchpad in the ultranav tool doesn't help either. We updated the ultranav driver already.

Installed BIOS is from July 2011.

Any idea ?

What's DOS?
RandomFlux

This probably has nothing to do with the BIOS or anything complicated like that. It is caused by the red UltraNav stick in the middle of the Lenovo keyboard. Until you learn to avoid it while you are typing, touch typists often hit this stick and this makes the cursor jump. Although you can turn the touchpad off, Lenovo won't let you turn the UltraNav stick off so all you can do is try to learn not to hit it while typing.

This still drives me crazy and it's one of the few things I dislike about my otherwise perfect Lenovo X200, in addition to the awful touchpad and speakers... 

Guru
ColonelONeill

You can pick off the TrackPoint cap to make it less of a nuisance.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Blue Screen Again
skrasher

I've dealt with thie 5-6 times where I work, and it has never been a computer issue.  Usually it's been the person inadvertently hitting the trackpoint, touchpad, or the left click button(to the left of the middle scroll button above the touchpad).  One other time it was an external mouse wheel being too loose.  My advice is always to use an external mouse and keyboard for a bit.  If you still have issues with that, then you probably do have a hardware issue. 

nibs
Topics: 43
Kudos: 143
Solutions: 39

You can turn the trackpoint (stick) off on the T420, it does not seem to allow you to turn the trackpoint and touchpad off at the same time through the UltraNav utility, but it might be possible in the BIOS.

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.

My TPs: Twist 2HU: i5-3317U Win 8 Pro, 4GB RAM 250GB Samsung 840 | T420 4177CTO: i5-2520M, HD+, Win 7 Pro x64, 8GB RAM, Optimus, 160GB Intel 320 SSD, Intel 6300 WiFi, BT 3.0 | T400 2764CTO: P8700, WXGA, Win 7 Ult x64, AMD 3470, 8GB RAM, 64GB Samsung SSD, BT, Intel 5300 WiFi | A20m 14.1" PIII 500 (retired). Monitors: 2x Dell U2211h IPS 100% sRGB calibrated w/ Spyder3.
Paper Tape
robar71

my curser jumps around while typing with the touchpad disabled (G580)

Not only does my curser jump around while typing but my text highlights itself and then deletes my text.  Lenovo kept me on the phone for over an hour passing me from one tech to the other when I asked for a replacement.  I was then given an email address of a person who has not answered my emails.  I have had this computer for a couple of months and it has had other problems.  I want my money back or at the very least a replacement.  Between the two Lenovo laptops I have had I have spend dozens of hours trying to get them fixed or working properly.