Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
visvba

T420i problem with startup

Sometimes (this week 4 times) when I switch on my T420i just the lcd backlight switch on and nothing more happens. Fan is working, backlight is on but the system is not starting up. Only black screen. Even the ThinkPad introductory screen is not shown. Does anybody know where the problem is and how to fix it? Thank you. Viktor

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

Re: T420i problem with startup

take out the ram module and restart the laptop does it beep?

replace your ram modules and see whether that fixes the issue.

i would try to run a full system diagnostic to see whether the CPU and RAM is okay.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Blue Screen Again
salvadorlyngdoh

I have the same problem. My laptop just has a power and finger print blink twice when I switch on the Pooof a sound and won't switch on.  I tried removing the battery and just pressing the button several times with and without the charger and battery but no luck, After may be several attemps it worked and booted. I think this the 3 rd time in a week this has happened, I even gave it for service checkup but the guys in the IBM service said it was fine. Kindly help why and how to deal with this. 

Paper Tape
visvba

[ Edited ]

I didn't try the solution with removing memory from slot, but the hardware test of memory wrote in log: "No memory diagnostic results were found in the event log." In help was written to run the Windows memory test. I set it to startup and restarted the computer. And during startup in this reset the problem appears again and for 3 times so it seems that it is something with memory but I need to find some free time to put out memory modules from slots to find out if it is the original one or that which I boutgh additionally for RAM extending.

Bai
Fanfold Paper
Bai

Do you have any usb drives plug in while the system boot up?
Paper Tape
visvba

It happened when I had and also when I hadn't.

dmckenzies
Topics: 1
Kudos: 58
Solutions: 24

Hi visvba,

When did this issue first start and what OS are you using?

Also, it could be a display issue with the graphics card.

It might be loading and not displaying.

Try to plug your system to an external monitor and see if it will display.

You would have to hit the 'win+p' commmand twice so you can duplicate the display to your external once you think the system is booted.

Try that and let's see where to go from there.

Be AWESOME Everyday!

Donate KUDOS and Click "Accepted Solution"

Did someone help you today?
Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"

This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.