Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
lax20531

T420s Display & Graphics performance - Please help

Hello my fellow Lenovo aficionados.... I'd be most appreciative if I could get some insight into this problem, because it exceeds my knowledge of the system:

For some background info, I currently have two machines, both T410s, Win7-64, 8GB RAM, 1440x900, NVIDIA switchable, original images.  I'm absolutely enamored  with the blindingly bright LED displays on these machines.   Never before had I experienced a display that wasn't on the side of being too dim.   I thought I found a new reason to love Thinkpad.  That was, until I bought my first T420s.

Recently, my mother had eye surgery, came to stay with me for 10 days, and complained she has trouble with the brightness/sharpness on the T400 I bought her previously.   She tried my T410s and couldn't believe the difference when comparing them side-by-side.  To relieve the burden from my mind, I promised Mom I would get her "one like mine."

I just received the T420s I ordered from LenovoDirect, a CTO model with Win 7-64, 4GB RAM, and 1600x900 Intel Integrated graphics.  I couldn't believe what I saw after I turned the machine on... the display is clearly some third-rate, inferior display that is just as dim as those on the legacy machines!  To make things worse, putting the machine side-by-side with my T410s, I can see tiny pixels all over the screen and it does resemble what someone else described as, "looking through a screen door."  The description sounds bizarre, but is correct, and how disappointing this is. 

I'm not an expert on displays, but could this difference be because my "bright' machines" use NVIDIA Discrete graphics??  I had assumed Discrete vs. Integrated only mattered when using graphic intensive applications.  Under the Windows Start Screen, shouldn't they look exactly the same??   I noticed the physical shape of the display seems to be somewhat different as well, possibly less tall and more wide, but I'm not concerned about this. 

I have to return this machine since it's entirely unsuitable for my needs.  But then the question becomes, how do I get a machine with the same degree of quality and brightness as that I now have on T410s?   If there are several display manufacturers, could the quality differ to such a large degree between them?   If so, how do I assure myself of getting the machine I want?  Will I have better luck if I get the Discrete Optimus graphics?  There has to be some logic to this build issue. 

I hate calling Lenovo about crap like this.  The last time I had to do this, my call went to some overseas call center that uses a phone script.  They barely listened to what I had to say, and the phone agent literally knew nothing-about-nothing.  This makes it impossible to describe a problem like this. 

This situation is really bothering me since I don't know how to get the machine I want.  If the problem isn't related to Discrete vs. Integrated, I could try buying a TABook series, but if the same problem occurs I will likely have trouble returning it.  (I do believe there is some benefit to having a TABook model, particularly longer standard warranties for some, and the fact that the Lenovo support website recognizes the build.)

Sorry about the lengthy post, but if you have knowledge of this situation I would appreciate some insight. 

Retired Employee
JameZ

Re: T420s Display & Graphics performance - Please help

@lax20531,

I think what you mean by "looking through a screen door" could be due to the antiglare display.

For the brightness issue, try going to the Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel -> Advance -> Color Enhancement -> brightness settings and adjust the brightness there.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

JameZ wrote:
@lax20531,

I think what you mean by "looking through a screen door" could be due to the antiglare display.

For the brightness issue, try going to the Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel -> Advance -> Color Enhancement -> brightness settings and adjust the brightness there.

//JameZ

JameZ,

Have you actually seen the screens on the t420s?  It doesn't sound like it. The screen door effect has been described in numerous posts on internet forums and reviews.

My t420s screen is certainly worse that the t410s.  Lenovo really needs to address this.

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Yea, that's what I thought. 

Crickets...

Punch Card
lax20531

The brightness issue just distorts the display, but turning down the Gamma helps somewhat.

Is there an ambient light sensor on the display that can be deactivated through Registry or Services? As I mentioned elsewhere, the display is much brighter for about 1 second after starting or resuming (using AC), causing me to suspect there may be an undesirable setting I can deactivate.
Paper Tape
IBMandy

[ Edited ]

The 420s is a business machine that should have a 16x10 ISP panel and Win 7 Pro only. I now own a t420s for 2 weeks and the panel is pathetic.  My previous t60p panel completely outclasses the new 420s panel.  Colors must be uniform at all angles.  This is the year 2011!  There is no excuse except cheap communist Chinese mentality.  The plastic next to the power button is flimsy, it feels cheap.  The rest of the machine is great.  Lenovo will get is perfect soon, and they will own the pc market.

Paper Tape
morphman

[ Edited ]

lenovo trying to cut $20 on our back by providing us a third grade display.

i think Lenovo should Recall all of those T420s with AUO displays and have them replaced with a decent Samsung display.

Lenovo probably don't understand thier hurting thier future business since none of us will buy Lenovo again after this trick they did with such a premium laptop that cost me more then $1,500 with the configuration i did (fast CPU, SSD, extra RAM)

SHAME on you Lenovo!!!

Moderator edit: Sentence going outside the Community Rules edited.

802.11n
JNavas

lax20531 wrote:
The brightness issue just distorts the display, but turning down the Gamma helps somewhat.
Is there an ambient light sensor on the display that can be deactivated through Registry or Services? As I mentioned elsewhere, the display is much brighter for about 1 second after starting or resuming (using AC), causing me to suspect there may be an undesirable setting I can deactivate.

After careful calibration my own gamma is now at 0.9, a significant improvement over the default setting with my AUO panel. 0.8 loses shadow detail making it unsuitable for image editing. No other adjustments seem helpful. (Settings recommended in T410 display enhancement give it more "pop", but turn highlights and shadows into a smeary mess.) As for the change in brightness, that's just your settings kicking in, taking over from full brightness at power on.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]