Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Retired Employee
JameZ

Re: T420s Fan noise Issue

@calkenneth,

Engineering's explanation were.

Optimize fan control : Reduce noise dynamically
This function purpose is that the fan sound reduce by stopping Fan. However, too many stopping occurred.

Thus they advice to use "Balance All Parameters".

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Fanfold Paper
fraktalek

@JameZ

So it took your engineering several weeks to tell us "you have your settings wrong" ???

Morover, this behaviour is exhibited regardless of the OS, what about linux, etc.?

And what about the whining fan issue?!

Retired Employee
JameZ

@fraktalek,

Tell me about it ...

So if the system is running in Linux, the pulsing issue still occurs?

Fan whine issue, myself and Mark are requesting a system from a customer in US to send the machine in to show it to L2.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Serial Port
Dan0

Ok this is getting ridiculous! 

This post has been created over a month ago now and all Lenovo comes up with is "check you Power managemer settings" and set it to "all balanced"?!? 

As if we hadn't allready tryed every possible setting available. 

My T420s is set to "all balanced" since I got it and since other settings don't affect the fan behavior. Also changing the advanced settings for cooling guideline from "active" to "passive" doesn't affect the fan. NO SETTINGS IN POWER MANAGER AFFECTS THE RPM PATTERN WE ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT

Sorry for caps but it seems as this hasn't been clear. 

JameZ wrote:

Fan whine issue, myself and Mark are requesting a system from a customer in US to send the machine in to show it to L2.

//JameZ

The fact that the whining also occures on Linux has allready been reported weeks ago in this thread, don't remember where, but it has been reported. 

Who is Mark? What's L2 and since when are you requesting a system from a customer? 

To me it feels like each T420s that is shipped suffers from the same problem. JameZ, you should now have at least 5 different MTM indications from customers who reported fan noise problems including mine. What do you need a customers machine for? 

I've made my own video review of my T420s last week end, I just need to uplad it and you'll have a nice demo of what is happening. I was affraid my review could harm the product image of Lenovo, but as you seem not to care about customer satisfaction and treat us like fools with the minimalistik so called "Enginering information" I'll post it anyway, maybe on youtube or on Rapidshare. 

Punch Card
alexcriss

JameZ wrote:

Yes, and the fan is always on also on Linux, running on average at 3900 RPM and only on rare occasions at lower speeds. Even if I leave the computer completely idle, I can hear the fan speeding up to 3900 RPM many times, without any computer activity, that's unbelievable.

What does it take to fix the BIOS settings to lower the fan spinning thresholds? The same was done, if I am not mistaken, for the X220 (see http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X220-fan-constantly-on-revving-up-and-down/td-...).

Besides, I have tried changing all the power related settings in the BIOS, no luck at all. The fan simply runs too fast, no matter what SW changes I made. I can use a fan control daemon, but that should be fixed in the BIOS, not in userland! So no, changing power settings does not help, please ask to the engineering team if they can do something better at the BIOS or hardware level.

Cheers,

Alessandro

Fanfold Paper
kirillov

[ Edited ]

@alexcrisis (and all)

maybe they dont do that because the t420s seems to get REALLY HOT.

(btw, in a german forum Ive read about people who brought their x220 in repair and got a more quiet and less hot maschine back!)

I went to a shop yesterday and checked a t420. this maschine hat a normal fan behaviour in terms of

speeding up when CPU load high and stopping when low.

also it seemed to not have the high pitched sound.

what I wanna know is: is there also t420s modell out there without the noise, or is every modell affected because of

the smaller fan in the thin laptop.

Punch Card
alexcriss

[ Edited ]

kirillov wrote:

@alexcrisis (and all)

I guess they dont do that because the t420s seems to get REALLY HOT and the x220 maybe not that much..

Well, I can change the fan speed in linux and set it to 2000 RPM and the temperature sensors still report around 45 Celsius under low load. That does not seem to be really hot, and in fact it is not if you touch the laptop. So I think that there are margins of improvement for the fan thresholds. 4000 RPM in idle is simply overkill. Even a 300$ Acer laptop does better, and that is riduculous. 

Fanfold Paper
kirillov

ok, thats very true of course.

there is a lot of different problems we are talking about. my problem is not so much the fan speed on idle, because this I could manage with tpfancontroll. why I am sending the maschine back is because of the high noise level under higher system load,

wich can not be solved with any BIOS update, 1. because the fan makes this ugly high pitch sound and 2. because this maschine gets so extremely hot.if I remember well

the people who had the x220 in repair are reporting a tempereture change from 95° to something like 75°

cheers..

Fanfold Paper
Sunebune

kirillov wrote:

all I wanna know is: is there also t420s modell out there without the noise, or is every modell because of

the smaller fan in the thin laptop.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm very satisfied with my T420s' fan performance. As this is my first Thinkpad, I'm sorry to say I don't really have anything to compare with except crap consumer laptops that are quite noisy by any measure. Anyway, most of the time my T420s is very quiet - I can feel a bit of air coming out, but the fan is almost inaudible. This is not only the case when the machine is idle, but also when I'm doing soft office work or internet browsing. When I let it do lots of stuff simultaneously, the fan goes clealy audible but (in my subjective opinion) not at all loud or annoying. When the task load takes off, the fan fairly quickly goes back to almost inaudible. I did a stress test via ThinkVantage, which of course made the fan spin audibly (and maybe faster than what I described above, I'm not sure), but not in a noisy or annoying way. As I said, I might be too easy to impress since this is my first Thinkpad, but I don't at all recognise the whining or noisy-all-the-time issues mentioned in the thread.

Sune

Punch Card
alexcriss

Sunebune wrote:
crap consumer laptops that are quite noisy by any measure

I also had those and believe me, my old 12 inches Fujitsu Amilo SI 1520 was far more silent when idle than the T420s and so is the majority of my friends' laptops. 4000 RPMs on idle is simply unrealistic. I know that I might consider using something similat to tpfancontrol on Linux, but the real fact is that it is the job of the BIOS (or the EC, whatever). I do not want to run a userland program to control something that the BIOS should do, it is simply wrong and it is fixable!

Please Lenovo, consider changing the BIOS/EC behaviour, thanks :smileyhappy: