Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
kirillov

Re: T420s Fan noise Issue

[ Edited ]

hi sunebune,

could you download my recording and check if its different from your notebook?
its mostley about this higher pitched sound clearly audible in comparisson to the x201 recording.

first is x201 on highest fan speeds, then t420s

https://rapidshare.com/files/1429012239/x201andt420shigh.mp3

cheers

Fanfold Paper
lenofix

Lenovo ist working hard on his "FanGate" - congrats, you are almost there!

Every addtitional day the community has to wait for a real solution (Hardware fix for the whinin fan, FW/Bios

fix for the behavoir) the WWW will exponentiate this bad reputation.

I am very disappointed from Lenovo.

Serial Port
Dan0

[ Edited ]

lenofix wrote:

Lenovo ist working hard on his "FanGate" - congrats, you are almost there!

How do you know that?

@sunebune 

What's your machine type and model? These information are crutial to help solving this issue...

Paper Tape
WL_t420s

Hey,

I had the same problem - the fan of my t420s is constantaly rotating and it's very noisy! Many users said they have the same problem. Why didn't Lenovo solve the problem?

Serial Port
Dan0

[ Edited ]

I've put my demonstration online, hope it is useful in some way...

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKLtUF2gGtE

Features: 

• Presentation of the T420s
  • Testing conditions and used equipment
  • Fan behaviour under office work
  • Fan behaviour under video playback

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggMwGc3eg0E

Features: 

• Fan behaviour under heavy CPU load
  • Fan behaviour under discrete GPU load

Feedbacks and comments are welcome!

Punch Card
alexcriss

[ Edited ]

Dan0 wrote:

I've put my demonstration online, hope it is useful in some way...

Experiencing the exact same noise on Linux, if that helps. I'm more that willing to upload details about my configuration if needed, hoping that the problem will be fixed soon. It really is a shame that the fan is so noisy, apart from that the T420s is my dream laptop!

Fanfold Paper
Wurstteppich

Hello,

I also have to say that the PowerManager settings didn't help in my case.

To be clear about one thing: My fan isn't whining or making strange spinups. It is just spinning all the time, even when the PC is idle. If I take a look there is no processes eating CPU, they are all running at 2-3% max peek when I do nothing. I tested the behaviour and let the PC do nothing, just the task manager open to watch the CPU and process activity. And again: The T420s did this in the factory state and when I setup a completly new Windows installation, without any additional software or virus scanner, just the stuff which was installed by System Update.

Therefore it can't be a Windows or Power Manager setting, which is causing the problem. Either it is really the CPU paste applied wrong or it is a faulty BIOS (instructions). You also cannot fix this by Power Manager settings, because the CPU really gets hot (70 degress and above), when there is almost no process activity in Windows.

I am also a little bis disappointed that another 4 or more weeks passed and the simple answer is: Please adjust the Power Manager settings. From the descriptions by other users and by me it should have been clear, that it is a hardware or BIOS issue.

If nothing happens in the next month I am also going to return the T420s to my dealer, because you can't have such a loud notebook like the T420s with constantly spinning fan in presentations. The small and compact design even with a strong CPU can't be a problem, because there are other models from Lenovo as well as other vendors, which don't have the same problem.

My request is that simple: Please fix the problem or in case of a bad design, please admit it and I will return the device and buy an other model from Lenovo. But please don't let customers live without any answer to this problems. It should be clear by now that this is a common problem with the T420s and not just a problem of settings or a handful of users.

Fanfold Paper
kirillov

[ Edited ]

sounds exactly like mine: bad.

wich models do you guys have? Ive seen a youtube review of an i5 version, the guy stated the system runs quiet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB0feuo3jDE

Token Ring
Yangorang

My T420s has a Corei5 and its super whiny and spinning all the time....I don't think the issue has much to do with he system configuration much...

Fanfold Paper
kirillov

ok, thats wat I thought. so that guy was just lucky...