Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bit Torrent
tripplec

Re: T420s Fan noise Issue

David44 wrote:

Thank you JMSTUCKMAN and TRIPPLEC - I appreciate the comments & heads-up.

I really hate to do it, but I may have to give TPFC and the other monitoring software a try.

Thanks again - David

Just watch when installing Core Temp on this newer release. The installer will have tagged bloatware. You want to uncheck various bloatware it offers!!! Doing so and you save time cleaning it back out.

It looks like this running minimized on the taskbar. The center number is system load and the other two are the two individual cores. I am on a Core Duo HP at the moment.

Coretemp.jpg

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
Intel Sandy Bridge & Nvidia NVS 4200M graphics Intel N 6300 Wi-Fi adapter
Windows 7 Home Prem - 64bit w/8GB DDR3
Punch Card
namelessrabbit

Betreff: T420s Fan noise Issue

My T420s is back from repair centre and the fan is functional once again. Unfortunately too functional as everybody except for Lenovo knows.

Actually I almost resigned and accepted the incredibly bad sound design but listening to some music on normal volume while surfing the web brought me back to a rage. It's beyond human belief how a company such as Lenovo is defiling the heritage of IBM's great machines.

I know that this probably is against forum rules but if this post gets criticized at least we know somebody of Lenovo is reading this:

We have to make this issue public. The only reason for Lenovo to care about people who already bought one of their faulty machines is financial-based. It doesn't bother Lenovo's management if this relatively small group here won't buy another Lenovo product. 

But if bigger webpages with good reputation and influence would notice (and comment on!) this mortifying behaviour of Lenovo's customer support maybe their opinion could get changed!

Ideally those websites should be big business-related pages with a huge readership.

Is anyone over here who has connections to pages like that? Or is anybody an author himself?

Fanfold Paper
Helvetia

Mark_Lenovo schrieb:

Dan0,

Jamez can escalate issues directly as he is a Lenovo employee.   Once he has enough information to define the problem clearly with steps to recreate and system specifics of model, OS, drivers, and BIOS level, he can either recreate himself or create / escalate the case.   

Our senior technical team will work the case and validate the symptoms and then pass to engineering and development as needed to obtain root cause and provide an update through drivers / bios as needed.

It is difficult to say exactly how long this process will take - can vary based on complexity of the issue, but typical the engineering cycle is around 4 weeks.  Sometimes faster, sometimes a bit longer.

Jamez often continues to collect information and receives updates from engineering .

Best regards,

Mark

@ Mark_Lenovo: Where is the progress on this issue? We are receiving again and again the same statements without any solution.

Fanfold Paper
kltye

It just seems to me that nobody at Lenovo product engineering takes pride in their work. Surely someone who designed the cooling system has heard of this issue, and surely someone who works for Lenovo has also been issued the T420s as a company laptop and noticed this issue. As a software developer, as soon as I hear of a widespread critical bug in my software, I jump into action to fix it, because I take pride in my work, and because I would like my work to be as close to perfect as possible. I am pretty close to getting a Samsung ultrabook as my next machine, something I would never even have considered just last year.
Punch Card
jglathe

Hi all,

I'm a more or less proud T420s owner for two weeks now. The fan noise is really annoying... it's a fast machine (and an expensive one), but I can't accept that noise under almost no load. My T500 is really silent by comparision (but hung up once per day, probably because of a crappy WD HDD with ReadyBoost nonsense).

BTW: Lenovo support is CRAP. Sorry to say this, but I feel ripped off after buying warranty extension, next business day on-site, and getting treated to a call center with (understandably) disgruntled employees. That's not what I bought. As of now I have made a few calls, and I got help for one issue with my T500... but got also informed that the shell is not part of the warranty, if my bezel cover is broken (it always breaks, I have a few thinkpads) and I want to have it fixed it will cost me. That's pretty **bleep**ty for top-of-the-line gear and prices, IMO. And as for the hang once a day issue - no real answer, only the hint that I need to install LSC, which DOESNT TEST A FREAKING THING. I think it is solved now, I have replaced the HDD with a new SSD, disabled the readyboost and turbomemory nonsense, now it's stable (and much faster). But for what do I purchase technician on site, next business day if Lenovo doesn't deliver? They asked me if I can replace the HDD by a different one to confirm the problem. **bleep**? If I want to fix the hardware myself, then I DONT buy a warranty extension, with the technician on-site on the next business day. The usual BS you get to hear then is that if there is no problem found  on site you will be billed for the "service"... whatever. **bleep**ty business practice.

@namelessrabbit: I think it is already public... disgruntled users spreading the word is a death-spell for any company. Unfortunately, Thinkpad T Series are still the best buy for serious business-grade gear. Far better than Dell and HP. Unless you get a model with Fan Noise problems, that is... As of now, of the Thinkpads I bought, only the T40 and the T420s have annoying fan noise issues. T23,  T42, T500 were ok, with the T500 being the most silent... but not the most stable, until now.

Punch Card
David44

Is there a chance that there are only about a dozen (couple of dozen?) of us T420s owners out there that are affected by this fan issue?  I ask b/c there appears to be only a handful of "regulars" writting on his topic.  Hence, there is very little pressure (seemingly) on Lenovo to get this resolved. 

But then again, if there are so few of us, why not swap out our machines and make us happy customers again? 

Thanks for the update Rabbit.

Punch Card
David44

Thank you again for the tip Tripplec!! David44
What's DOS?
SWijland

I am having the exact same problem with the fan. The noise started about a week after I started using the notebook and it starting to make me go mad :smileysad:

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

[ Edited ]

I hope this is resolved soon.

Punch Card
namelessrabbit

I received a mail from Lenovo asking me to do a survey concerning their support quality.

I answered honestly but pointed them several times to this thread. Maybe if they receive feedback on this channel they will start to notice.