Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
kirillov

Re: T420s Fan noise Issue

just got my t420s today.

I can hear the pulsing, or clicking on very low fan speed. but only with my ears at the fan.

seems like the fan on my thinkpad also never stops. I also think this thinkpads fan is much noiser

than the one on my old t42, the t500 I used to have and the x201i that I borrowed from a friend.

there is a very high frequency sound to it, but it is not really "whining"like the R50 that I returned in 2004.

I will test this mashine a few days and might also check tpfancontrol, but if it gets too anyoing, I might send it back for a t410s.

Ive read some reviews that stated that this would be a realtively quiet maschine.

btw. the screen really looks strange. the grid think really is confusing also when looking at it from a normal working distance. also its really a lot less bright than the x201i.. maybe another reason for a t410s..

Paper Tape
Brodart

Any updates on this? I need to pick up a new laptop soon. TPFanControl seems like a decent solution for now, but

Wurstteppich's post about the heat really concerns me. I thought ThinkPads were supposed to be known for being cool and quiet? I hate to say it, but if there isn't a solution by the end of next week, I'll be ordering a Dell.

Also, does anyone know if this problem is actually more prevalent with the T420s than the T420?

Fanfold Paper
lenofix

[ Edited ]

good questions,

can anyone from lenovo finally come across with an answer?

many users and potential customers are knocking in this

forums for a statement from lenovo

X220 thread, same problem, now 42 pages long

looking forward receiving facts from lenovo.

Fanfold Paper
kirillov

hey there,

I will send my t420s back because Im shure no BIOS can change the fact that this maschine

is very noise when on higher CPU load. you can lower the fan with TPfancontroll, this helps a lot

if you are only browsing and doing office stuff, but as soon as the CPU gets hot (and it really gets

VERY hot if its running around 55%) of course the fan has to spin, and then it just is much more noisy then my older thinkpads.

I recorded the x201i and the T420s sound to comnpare, just dont know where to upload this stuff..

cheers...

Serial Port
Dan0

kirillov wrote:

I recorded the x201i and the T420s sound to comnpare, just dont know where to upload this stuff..

cheers...

You can upload for free to Rapidshare of simply put in on youtube. Rapidshare keeps your files 30 days when you're not a premium member, youtube is for ever I think. 

Punch Card
calkenneth

I just got my T420s also (model 4170CTO) and I have the same exact problem with the fan running continously at full speed. I just updated the BIOS from 1.09 the other day, and the funny thing is I swear the fan problem is worse with this new version of the BIOS (1.13). 

Is it safe to downgrade BIOSes?  I might do that just to avoid this fan problem... it's truly annoying!

Punch Card
ferganer

There is no harm in downgrading the BIOS. Install as usuall but ignore the message saying that the BIOS you are about to install is older than the one you already have.

Fanfold Paper
kirillov

[ Edited ]

thanks Dan0.

this is no laboratory recording, very low standard but it gives an idea. its recorded with the mic at the keyboard,

not directly at the fan.

https://rapidshare.com/files/1429012239/x201andt420shigh.mp3

first seconds is laptop powered of, you hear the noise of the recording mic.(I ve boosted the complete recording

so you can hear it on little speakers to...)

then in relation to this, first the x201 on highest fan speed, wich actually never happens, I forced it

with tpfancontrol.

last is the t420s on high fan speed, wich happens with 55% CPU load,

with no cpu load, both maschines are very quiet (the T420s with a little help of tpfancontrol)

but the highest BIOS fan speed of the x201 (around 3600 RPM) is like the average, every day fan speed of the T420s.

and also then the t420s is nosier:

again, first mic noise, then x201, then t420s

https://rapidshare.com/files/3570395779/x201andt420s.mp3

cheers...

Retired Employee
JameZ

@All.

In regards to the fan pulsing issue, engineering has suggested to change the "Optimize fan control to" in Power Manager to "Balance All Parameters" or "Maximize Performance".

Do apply that setting on your Power Manager (3.59) then see if the fan is still pulsing.

A good indicator if this works is to run HWinfo, then generate a report on the fan speed thus the result should not show a fluctuation of increase / decrease of fan rpm.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Punch Card
calkenneth

@JameZ

Has engineering any thoughts on the problem with the fan running constantly?

Kenneth