Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
salisadecade

Re: T420s Fan noise Issue

I just got a T420s 4174P4G with BIOS version 1.31 and EC version 1.12...My fan runs really quiet...a bit too quiet if you ask me because it really heats up when I'm playing games.

My problem is that the games start off really smooth then when the temperature goes too high(about 5-10 minutes into the game),the CPU starts throttling and the lag is unbearable,the machine has never powered off due to this though..HWinfo shows CPU temperatures as high as 97 degrees celcius and my base/idle temperature is around 50-60....GPU temperature is around 81-86 degrees

System is fairly new,I can't imagine it being dust.....any suggestions or ideas....oh yeah my fan speed is usually 4633 RPM too...should be the highest speed but still can't keep the temperature down

Should I downgrade my BIOS and see if I get better temperature values or is this just another one of the T420s' flaws?

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

salisadecade wrote:

I just got a T420s 4174P4G with BIOS version 1.31 and EC version 1.12...My fan runs really quiet...a bit too quiet if you ask me because it really heats up when I'm playing games.

My problem is that the games start off really smooth then when the temperature goes too high(about 5-10 minutes into the game),the CPU starts throttling and the lag is unbearable,the machine has never powered off due to this though..HWinfo shows CPU temperatures as high as 97 degrees celcius and my base/idle temperature is around 50-60....GPU temperature is around 81-86 degrees

System is fairly new,I can't imagine it being dust.....any suggestions or ideas....oh yeah my fan speed is usually 4633 RPM too...should be the highest speed but still can't keep the temperature down

Should I downgrade my BIOS and see if I get better temperature values or is this just another one of the T420s' flaws?

Why not just set your machine in Turbo Boost + mode right before you start gaming?  This will put the fan at max speed and therefore max cooling.  If that doesn't help, then I guess you need to ask the Lenovo engineers why ThinkPad products can't be used for any modern games.

Paper Tape
salisadecade

I always turn turbo boost plus on...I feel the rush of cold air before the games start but still heats up really fast...I suspect bad EC values because immediately after I stop gaming the vent goes from burning hot to ice cold in about 30 seconds and the temperature values drop by 5s and 10s in HWinfo

I also think 50-60 is too high for start up and idle cpu temperature...What should I do Lenovo?

Token Ring
jmstuckman

salisadecade: While the game is playing, check the fan speed. Is it running at 4000RPM? If so, the fan is already cooling the laptop as much as possible.

I think you're running against the fact that, at 100% CPU usage, the cooling system simply isn't capable of removing heat faster than the CPU can generate it. I accept this as an inherent limitation to cramming a high-performance CPU into a thin form factor. The cooling system can handle normal, intermittent loads just fine, but the cooling system isn't adequate for sustained heavy loads.

My issue with the fan is that the BIOS sometimes chooses too fast fan speeds for the situation (such as running the fan on maximum RPM for 30 minutes while the CPU temperature is under 40C the whole time).

Paper Tape
salisadecade

Its not even about the level for me....why is it still heating up so fast....at 4633 RPM fan speed I don't expect my PC temperature to still be rising so rapidly...62-70-80-86-92....then let the throttling begin,all in about 10 minutes max....Could it be possible that my Embedded controller is reading wrong temperature values??

Checked the fan for dirt and there was none and I saw this rubber kinda thing on the processor..could it also be responsible?

Paper Tape
SkankiN

That would be the thermal pad you are seeing. Its there to minimize air gaps between the CPU and cooler thus improving the thermal junction and removing more heat from the CPU.

Seeing as you already voided the warrenty by opening it up (fair guess, but not sure), try buying some artic cool thermal paste and apply it to the CPU instead of the pad.

Have had some good resulting with a temperature drop of 2-5 degree's with that type of cooling paste.

Blue Screen Again
Julian_Think

The cooling system is just too small, butt now with the higher ambient temperatures mine has barely cool to 45 ° C down. Therefore, the fan just now hang öffter at 4k.

Punch Card
namelessrabbit

I begin to feel like the problem got worse after Lenovo replaced the broken fan. Now it takes just a few minutes to get stuck on 4000 rpm. And this happens under any circumstances, no matter which power preset was chosen.

The air coming out of the vents is still as cold as the air being sucked it.

Paper Tape
salisadecade

Wish I could find a video on how to do this....so what,I just take the thermal pad off and replace it with paste...or do I apply the paste and re-affix the thermal pad???....

Is there a way of opening the bottom of a t420s to see underneath the board without disassembling the whole thing??

Lenovo should have videos and manuals on how to do-it-yourself

Broadband 3G
ibmthink

@salisadecade,

take a look here: http://lenovo.f.relayware.com/content/CourseWarePublic/6628/course%20files/index.html The T420s has the same architecture as the T400s, so you can use the videos there.