Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
Helvetia

Re: T420s Fan noise Issue

@ Mark_Lenovo or any other responsible person: We expect an update. Your treatment of user issues is unacceptable!
Punch Card
David44

Seriously Mark, when you are done screwing around with the term "Kudos", could you please provide this group with an update on the horrific (look that up) fan noise that my T420s makes?  We have not had an update months and this issue is close to a year old!  Very, very frustrated with having to check this board with no result day after day.  Thank you.

Punch Card
namelessrabbit

I really feel reminded of talking to a huffish child. "I made a mistake but I could never admit that!" 

Lenovo, your behaviour is embarrassing! 

SCSI Port
sveintore

Feeling very good about my move away from the T420S now :smileyhappy:

Paper Tape
caskroot

Hey you guys,

I won't read all the last posts in this thread and somebody may have already said this, but after waiting several months for a solution to come up in this thread, I sent my laptop to Lenovo and in only 2-3 weeks I got it back with a new fan. Everything working fine now.

So please, don't wait any longer, send it for repair!

I hope this helps!

Greetings!

Token Ring
Kicker774

I feel the same way.

I really wish they would come out admit there was an issue with X batch of laptops mfg'd from X date to Y date.

Or "We're just now becoming aware of the issue ourselves and our support staff is looking into it"

When you start seeing these problems it's nice to get a heads up from Lenovo that there is an issue, otherwise your left feeling "Is it just me? Am I crazy?"

Punch Card
alexcriss

caskroot wrote:

So please, don't wait any longer, send it for repair!

I hope this helps!

Thanks for trying, but it doesn't help. I had the fan replaced once, and it still spins fast.

Adding more, after a while using the new fan I had again a fan error at boot (I believe that my fan is tired of going crazy). Lenovo technicians couldn't reproduce and didn't change the fan again (my laptop was at the support center having developed white spots on the display, and I also told them to check the new fan). The new fan does indeed mis-behave and some days ago it almost killed my laptop. I booted and didn't notice that the fan wasn't spinning. At some point, the laptop turned very slow, and I though it was because I was going through very CPU demanding tasks. When those finished, and the laptop was still slow, I checked it and it was horribly hot (it reported 100 celsius degrees) because the fan wasn't spinning. Glad it is still alive, or maybe not so glad, it would have been a perfect excuse for throwing this piece of junk out of the window.

I lost hope of seeing the problem fixed, however Lenovo may lose its hope of having me buy or recommend their products in the future.

Punch Card
alexcriss

Kicker774 wrote:
When you start seeing these problems it's nice to get a heads up from Lenovo that there is an issue, otherwise your left feeling "Is it just me? Am I crazy?"

Well, such a noisy fan certainly helps driving me to crazyness. What a feature!

Paper Tape
huang2811

Hi all

I have an important found today!

I got my 3rd T420s 2 weeks ago( first 2 are DOA), and this one works perfectly! But today, after I update 5 optional update, fan started to be noisy! never stop. the 5 updates are:

1. Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.125.1635.0)

2. Conexant - Audio - Conexant 20672 SmartAudio HD

3. Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2691894

4. Lenovo - Display - ThinkPad Display 1600x900

5. Broadcom Corporation - Bus Controllers and Ports - ThinkPad Bluetooth 3.0

I have already delated 1 and 2, but the rest of updatesare not delateable.

If any of you have fan problem, check windows update history, if any of this optional updates has been installed, it may be the problem!!!! 

I think No 4,  Lenovo - Display - ThinkPad Display 1600x900 probably the BAD one, I will restore my computer tonight, and post an report to you guys for the feedback!

Haoran

Token Ring
jmstuckman

huang: Unfortunately, that's probably just a confidence. The fan problem is sporadic (it appears for a couple days and then disappears for several days) and it's likely that the fan coincidentally started spinning at a high speed after applying the update.

When I first started having the problem, I restored to the Lenovo factory image, and the fan continued to episodically spin at 4000RPM with CPU temperatures in the 30s. Given that the problem can be reproduced while running the Lenovo factory image, there is NO WAY that they didn't notice this during the testing and development process.