Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
marcinm

Re: T420s Fan noise Issue

I have also observed improvement after installing ThinkPad Power Management driver:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014939

Punch Card
David44

[ Edited ]

No improvement here with all current available updates. 

The fan spins non-stop at a very high rate with absolutely no workload taxing the system.

My T420s sounds like a hair dryer.

Punch Card
david99

Hi All,

Did somebody tried new bios v. 1.34 for T420s if FAN problem is still here?

Thanks.

David

Punch Card
David44

Just flashd the BIOS.  Even with BIOS 1.34, the fan is still as loud as ever. 

Looks like Lenovo will never fix the fan issue with the Thinkpad T420s.

They would have to first own up to it and stop ignoring this 1000+ entry forum dating back to mid-2011.

Roy
Token Ring
Roy

[ Edited ]

1.34 same Sh*t

Now you see the same issue on T430.

I can not recognise any improvement after updating to the latest version of BIOS and Power Manager.

Mark_Lenovo does not respond to my PM regarding to this topic.

I have just found this thread: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T420S-Crashing-into-TV-like-fuzzy-screen/td...

Hopeless situation... :smileymad:

Fanfold Paper
heldchen

after switching from windows 7 to windows 8 RTM, all my noise issues with the t420s are gone!

prior to the inplace-upgrade to windows 8 i ran ThinkVantage System Update and updated to the latest bios (1.34 i think). TPFanControl now shows the normal working temperature to be around 45°C, whereas in windows 7, it normally was way above 60°C. 

Token Ring
jmstuckman

heldchen wrote:

after switching from windows 7 to windows 8 RTM, all my noise issues with the t420s are gone!

prior to the inplace-upgrade to windows 8 i ran ThinkVantage System Update and updated to the latest bios (1.34 i think). TPFanControl now shows the normal working temperature to be around 45°C, whereas in windows 7, it normally was way above 60°C. 

heidchen: There was something really wrong with your Windows 7 installation then. I have Windows 7 and my normal working temperature is 40C-43C, and my fan still spins at high speed almost all the time.

You weren't having a fan problem; your Thinkpad was behaving completely normally in respones to your abnormally high temperatures.

Fanfold Paper
heldchen

well not really. the temperature on windows 7 has always been around 60°C for me, even on a fresh vanilla install. with the culprit as far as i could make out being the optimus gpu heating everything up.

that's not the case anymore in win8, for whatever reasons. and as the fan only starts blowing with more than 3000rpm around 60°, the notebook is now silent for most of the time.
Blue Screen Again
undoIT

I am having the same issue with my ThinkPad T420s. After boot, the fans are stuck at 4k RPM. If I do a suspend / resume cycle, throttling kicks in. I have the latest bios (1.34) installed. Seeing as this thread goes back exactly 1 year and 3 months, it seems doubtful that Lenovo is going to fix this. I guess suspend / resume is going to become a regular part of my boot routine, which sucks. This should really be fixed.

I'll have to test on my T410s when I have access to it again to see if it is also an issue with that model.

P.S. I am considering purchasing an X1 Carbon but lack of response to this issue is a concern...

ThinkPads: T410s, T420s | Take Ctrl: Keyboard Shortcuts | Coupon Code Swap