Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
bri0831

T420s LCD has "screen door" look to it (Read for better description)

*Curious if anyone with a brand new T420s thinks their LCD screen looks grainy/washed out - especially on white or bright backgrounds or windows displayed. * :smileysad:

I ordered 2 new T420s machines at work and I opened mine last Friday 6/3/2011.

My T420s (4174-2AU) works great so far, I'm using the OEM Win 7 Pro x64 config (no custom image from work.)

...however

the LCD screen looks really bad when I put my T410s next to it on the table. (My T410s is a 2912-2DU.)

The screen on the T420s appears to almost have "pin stripes" on it, and the brightness

(even when cranked up to 15 on high perf. power scheme) is nowhere near what the T410s can do.

It looks like I'm looking through a screen door- that's the only way I guess I can explain it.

However test is fine, just overall brightness & sharpness stinks. (esp. with a white background or bright colors on screen)

Then you can really see what I'm talking about

I don't get it, maybe a bad batch of screens (again, like we experienced on the T400s and T410s series machines)

There's no dead pixels or any physical damage, but if I was working on this machine undocked, it honestly looks like a screen from a 7 year old laptop.

I'll be docking it to run on my dual 24" widescreens (with lid closed) so for that it's not a big deal, but considering how long we waited for these machines to ship, I'm let down again with the out of the box experience (on the lcd only at this point.)

Seeing that we pay like $1600 for these on bid pricing I expect the screen to at least match that of the T410s for clarity and brightness on the new series.

Ran TVSU once out of the box so everything is up to date per Lenovo's driver distribution, no custom drivers or anything like that.

If anyone else is seeing this or knows what's up please let me know!

Thanks,

BG

T430s (current), T420s, ThinkStation S20
Token Ring
Kicker774

Re: T420s LCD has "screen door" look to it (Read for better description)

I remember having an instance or two of this.

The screen was abit dim, perhaps a touch garbled?

I think I've seen it on the T410 but it could had been the S as well.

It's not a big enough blip on my radar to remeber if it was just an LCD swap if I determinied it was a video card / System board issue

802.11n
bogatyr

Might just be a bad T420s. While if I look closely I can see the pixels, at a normal distance it isn't really noticeable. Also the display is blindingly bright at 15. I use it at 5 or 6 most of the time.
Roy
Token Ring
Roy

[ Edited ]

Yes, mine is the same screen quality. 

It is the only major thing that I'm not satisfied about this model.

Of the 2 T420s machines we ordered, both are looking the same.
i took the new T420s that my coworker has, and laced it next to my T410s and my T420s. Both of the 420s machines LCD brightness (even cranked up all the way) look like garbage compared to the T410s. At times my T410s is too bright, and I would turn it down manually, but the other 2 new laptops almost look "grey" from normal sitting distance with a totally white screen displaying.
T430s (current), T420s, ThinkStation S20
Fanfold Paper
kirillov

just got my new t420s today and I must say this grid is really noticeable. I think its a really bad display. I have my x201i sitting next to it, and its much brighter and "clearer", meaning no strange greyisch gridiness....

Im considering to send it back for a t410s

Punch Card
jhcameron

Ditto for my T420S screen....

Punch Card
gnufish

Yes, better to keep away from Lenovo products these days. It's a pity because I like the keyboard After may failure with X220 I decided to take a look at the T420s, but the screen is so bad... I read it in the reviews but didn't expect it to be so bad. It is not bright and the colors are washed-out. So it's the same effect as described here.

Token Ring
jmstuckman

Before I bought my T420s, I read somewhere (don't remember where) that Lenovo had two suppliers for the screen for the T420s, and one of the screens displayed a poor picture with a "screen door" effect. I think someone had posted the part number of the offending screen, along with the part number of the good screen.

I must have been lucky, because I notice no problems on my T420s screen. I put my T420s side-by-side with a T61 and X41, and my screen is better than the screens on the other two.

Guru
ColonelONeill

There's LG, Samsung, and AUO.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase