Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
adeoras

T420s Lid Warped?

Just received my new T420s yesterday and almost immediately noticed a problem with the screen/lid. 

When closed, facing the front of the laptop, I can press on the front left corner and nothing happens - completely rock solid.  However, when I press on the front right corner, just above the latch, there seems to be a great deal of play and the entire panel bends forward.  A rough estimate would put it at 1mm to 2mm of space difference.  Turning the laptop around, between the metal hinges the lid makes a negative parabolic shape and doesn't seem flush with the hinges.  It seems the entire panel is bent between the hinges. 

Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and what should be done to remedy it.  I assume that this is unusual for a T420s, looking at the T400 I have in the office.  The panel itself is fine, no dead pixels, but it makes it really uncomfortable to hold and worries me that the laptop won't last a week at college use levels. 

Thanks everyone, this is my first ThinkPad and it seems this really is a fantastic community of Lenovo owners.

Bit Torrent
tripplec

Re: T420s Lid Warped?

Call them and send it back.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
Intel Sandy Bridge & Nvidia NVS 4200M graphics Intel N 6300 Wi-Fi adapter
Windows 7 Home Prem - 64bit w/8GB DDR3
Serial Port
orangebuddha

adeoras wrote:

When closed, facing the front of the laptop, I can press on the front left corner and nothing happens - completely rock solid.  However, when I press on the front right corner, just above the latch, there seems to be a great deal of play and the entire panel bends forward.  A rough estimate would put it at 1mm to 2mm of space difference. ... It seems the entire panel is bent between the hinges. 

Yes it shouldn't be bent. I would send it back too.

I've had 2 T420s's, and both of them had a little more play on the right side than the left. Doesn't sound anywhere near as large as yours, but there nonetheless. The left side is almost unnoticeable, while the right side is a little larger.

Hasn't seemed to affect the durability though. I take multiple flights a week, and seems to hold up OK.

Guru
ColonelONeill

The lid is intentionally convex because it improves impact resistance.

I wouldn't worry too much about the play on the edges. My T400 had that, and my W520 has it now.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Paper Tape
adeoras

Hey everyone,

Thank you for all the input!  Just to give an update: I sent it in for a warranty repair (getting it out was actually pretty easy) but it came back just a day later with nothing done.  The paper it came with gave no comments, no signature, only a mention that the bezel had undergone "wear and tear."  Wear and tear?  On a day old laptop?  Unbelievable.  New problems have arisen as well:

1. Bay battery has failed - The laptop refuses to recognize that the bay battery is installed.
  2. Creaky palm rest - Just above the hard disk slot.  Very annoying issue.
  3. Extremely loud - I had originally hoped that the T420s thread on fan problems was an isolated issue but it's certainly across the board for this model.
  4. The display - It takes two minutes to adjust everything just to see text on a page.
This is the biggest lemon of any ThinkPad I've ever witnessed.  I'm not very old, but I can vividly remember the early T-series models my father brought home from work.  These were completely different from this monstrosity sitting on my desk.  Jumping on a deal just to get the extra RAM for MATLAB was a real mistake.  Now begins the battle to get my money back and find something else; it seems ThinkPad is truly dead.  
I apologize for the ranting nature of this post.  I've wasted so much time on support lines and figuring out what to do with this machine that it's just no longer worth it.