Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
booths

Re: T420s not Booting

[ Edited ]

I have exactly the same problem with a new T420s (2.8Ghz i7, 8 Gig RAM) that has been in use for less than two full weeks. None of the suggested 'fixes' have worked.

I phoned technical support (operated, I understand, by an IBM Business Unit) and they informed me that system board replacement was probably required. Was also informed that the 3yr Onsite Next Day Support we have paid for has not been registered with the support desk so we are out of luck. After three business days, countless phone calls and e-mails I still don't have any answer from either Digital River (who are the shop/agents for the Lenovo shop in Ireland) or Lenovo.

No one has shown themselves either willing or capable of providing me with the information required to register for the the onsite support that has been paid for!

Supply chain and customer support in this apparently wonky three-legged environment (Lenovo, Digital River, IBM) is clearly not up to scratch and is rapidly destroying nearly 20 years of positive experience with ThinkPad and x-Series products. Now seriously reconsidering corporate purchasing decisions for the future.

Stephen Booth

Chief Technology Officer - Scale-Up Systems 

Blue Screen Again
Naukyo

ThorsHammer:

Yes, it's my service provider. it's not even 3 months old, so it's still under warranty!

They also told me there currently is a shortage of T420s mainboards for the Intel i7, so hopefully it doesn't take too long until i get it back...  Seems like some more people have problems with those machines...

Token Ring
Kicker774

Same problems here. I've had 3 T420s units come across my bench in the past week.

One straight out of the box, the other two havn't been in service for over a month.

Pretty sure they were all the 63Y1718 systemboard FRU

Systemboards themselves are easy to replace but threading the wireless antenna wires back neatly into place is a real time consumer.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
booths

Naukyo:

I wonder if that is why I ham having so much difficulty in getting Lenovo to recognise that I have paid for next-day desk-side support (although, to be fair, it might be that Digital River who are the on-line shop operator for Lenovo could be to blame - http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Significant-problems-with-On-Site-Next-Day-support-Dam...)?

Now in my fith day without my T420 (three full business days after first reporting the problem) there is still no sign of the deks-side support service I have paid for.

The Dell machine I'm now using in the interim is looking more and more attractive!

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

So nobody from the warranty service provider has even called or come by to ascertain what the problem is?  They should honor the response time objectives to triage the problem and determine what parts are needed. 

Once the parts are determined you are at the mercy of availability.

802.11n
wditters

Stephen,

You may want to send a mail to Lenovo Services Register_UK at lsr_uk@lenovo.com. Show them the invoice that proves you puchased both the machien and the upgrade to 3y NBD onsite. They should be able to force your warranty status to where it belongs.

Make sure you add the MTM (Model-ID = 1234-ABC) and the serial number of the machine. I kinda suspect that Digital River is to blame for not having processed your warranty upgrade. If they haven't then Lenovo couldn;t possibly know about it :-)

Cheers Willem

booths wrote:

I have exactly the same problem with a new T420s (2.8Ghz i7, 8 Gig RAM) that has been in use for less than two full weeks. None of the suggested 'fixes' have worked.

Phoned technical support (operated, I understand, by an IBM Business Unit) and they informed me that system board replacement was probably required. Was also informed that the 3yr Onsite Next Day Support we have paid for has net been regitered with the support desk so we are out of luck. After three business days, countless phone calls and e-mails I still don't have any answer from either Digital River (who are the shop/agents for the Lenivi shop in Ireland) or Lenovo.

No one has shwon themselves either willing or capable of providing me with the information required to register for the the onsite support that has been paid for!

Suppluy chain and customer support in this apparently wonky three-legged environment (Lenovo, Digital River, IBM) is clearly not up to scratch and is rapidly destroying nearly 20 years of positive experience with ThinkPad and x-Series products. Now seriusly reconsidering corporate purchasing decisions for the future.

Stephen Booth

Lenovo Premium Business Partner
X1 Carbon Touch | i7-3667U | 8Gb | 256Gb | HD 4000 | 14HD+ | WWAN | W8.1 Pro RTM x64 |
Paper Tape
dmillar007

T420s Green Light - No Display - Motherboard Failure

Hi All,

I am really frustrated with the new T420s Series laptop (i7 Top spec with 8Gb RAM). We have purchased about 12 in the last 2 months and I have had 4 DOA (3 with the same issue mentioned in the subject above). The first 2 I DOA'd although this process took almost a month to get replacements! How do you tell a user after working with their new laptop for a week that it will take a month to get it Repaired/Replaced??

Now i have another, NO Motherboards in stock, no ETA and the user is expected to sit and wait for what seems like it could be a few weeks. I was told to log a CMT? (Customer Complaint) although that went nowhere!

Anyone else had issues with the T420s? This must be a bad batch or something but i cant get anything out of Lenovo. I see there is a long thread about the same issue on the X220 Series. Wonder if this is related?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
booths

Thanks for providing that e-mail address Willem.

I have finally had some success (the support is now registered) but it now appears that there is a lack of replacement motherboards (at least in Ireland), so the Next Day support is stetching out to an as yet unspecified date in the future.

As I've already written elsewhere on this forum, this makes a mockery of the concept of Next Day support for a business class machine.

What it seem is that is really meant to be Next Day 'response', but clearly response does not mean any guarantee of fixing a broken item or replacing a defective component.

This is probably the last time I will specify a ThinkPad  machine ....

Cheers

Stephen

Broadband 3G
JDay

ThorsHammer wrote:

Is your T420s under warranty and is that your warranty service provider?

There's no way it wouldn't be under warranty, that model is less than a year old.

Broadband 3G
JDay

booths wrote:

I phoned technical support (operated, I understand, by an IBM Business Unit) and they informed me that system board replacement was probably required. Was also informed that the 3yr Onsite Next Day Support we have paid for has not been registered with the support desk so we are out of luck. After three business days, countless phone calls and e-mails I still don't have any answer from either Digital River (who are the shop/agents for the Lenovo shop in Ireland) or Lenovo.

No one has shown themselves either willing or capable of providing me with the information required to register for the the onsite support that has been paid for!

Supply chain and customer support in this apparently wonky three-legged environment (Lenovo, Digital River, IBM) is clearly not up to scratch and is rapidly destroying nearly 20 years of positive experience with ThinkPad and x-Series products. Now seriously reconsidering corporate purchasing decisions for the future.

Stephen Booth

It can take up to a month after the system has shipped for the extended warranty (on-site, TPP) to show up in their records. It will clear up in a couple more weeks. If you need to use it you should be able to simply email support a copy of the invoice showing that you did pay for the extended warranty.