Support in other languages: 
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,311
Solutions: 284

Re: T420s Green Light - No Display - Motherboard Failure

dmillar007,

Yes, there are some early life failures on these,.   Parts should be catching up, although there are still pockets in the WW supply chain that may reflect longer than expected lead times.

Could you send me a private message with the MT & Serials of the units that you have now?   Also, could you share the service case number or any other details (even the MT / Serial) of the unit delayed in service now?  Will see what we can do to expedite.

We have another thread on this subject on the T series and I'm going to append these last two messages to it for clarity.

I apologize for the failures - I understand how having several systems out of 12 fail would shake your confidence.

Thanks

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

802.11n
wditters

Re: T420s not Booting

What it seem is that is really meant to be Next Day 'response', but clearly response does not mean any guarantee of fixing a broken item or replacing a defective component.

This is probably the last time I will specify a ThinkPad  machine ....

Cheers

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

No, it really is supposed to be next day on-site and that usually is the case. A temporary component shortage however can happen to the best of providers. I have seen that happen to HP, Samsung, just name them ... My experience is that thankfully almost never happens with Lenovo. That's not going to solve your problem, I understand, but you will find it's not going to take more than a few days at most, rest assured.

Cheers Willem

Lenovo Premium Business Partner
X1 Carbon Touch | i7-3667U | 8Gb | 256Gb | HD 4000 | 14HD+ | WWAN | W8.1 Pro RTM x64 |
Token Ring
Kicker774

Re: T420s Green Light - No Display - Motherboard Failure

Is there a specific system board FRU affected by this issue?

Punch Card
Falko

Willem,

the definition of "temporary" isnt 1-2month, or? Temporary can be widely interpreted, so if its NBD it should be NBD with spare parts included, not just a warm information on the telephone that "we are so sorry, but ...".

Regards, Falko

802.11n
wditters

Falko wrote:

Willem,

the definition of "temporary" isnt 1-2month, or? Temporary can be widely interpreted, so if its NBD it should be NBD with spare parts included, not just a warm information on the telephone that "we are so sorry, but ...".

Regards, Falko

My experience with "temporary" has never been more than 2-3 days max. Even though I agree that NBD should be NBD in all cases, this basically boils down to being able to optimize logistic processes to such an extent that one never runs out of spare parts while never keeping too many of them on stock either. Even in the best companies, you can never rule out temorary out of stock situations. It basically comes down to statistics and probability. What are the odds that in a particular region multiple people end up having the same issue at the same time. I am convinced that Stephen's issue is sorted before the week is over, if it hasn't already been sorted.

Lenovo Premium Business Partner
X1 Carbon Touch | i7-3667U | 8Gb | 256Gb | HD 4000 | 14HD+ | WWAN | W8.1 Pro RTM x64 |
Paper Tape
YanP

My two month old Lenovo T420S quit booting on me 1.5 weeks ago. It seems like the same situation that others are having on this board. Though the main reason I purchased a Thinkpad is its reputation for reliability, I understand these things happen.

What is absurd is the following. I brought the computer to a Lenovo Partner in Chicago day after it stopped working. My rep first told me that the part is on back order, then that Lenovo doesn't make the part anymore and are looking for a replacement, now the replacement is on back order, no ETA. The rep, who seems knowledgeable, says it's the system board. I put in a call to Lenovo support who told me they do not send out system boards. Apparently I have to pick up my computer from the Lenovo partner, put it into a box and have it shipped out to a depot. Lenovo partner disagrees. Mark, can you please confirm or deny this?

Punch Card
radiskull

I am guessing with the IBM service partners they can discretionarily replace entire units if needed with the same warranty terms as the original unit?  I ask because when I did phone support there was a problem with certain tablet pcs and parts * clears throat and looks around* yeah people were getting replacement units.  Just saying I'd imagine waiting a month for a simple repair is probably more pain steaking and problematic than just replacing a 2 month old pc.  Maybe offering some sort of data transfer if need be since apparently this is becoming a hot issue.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,311
Solutions: 284

[ Edited ]

YanP,

System boards are considered FRUs (field replacable units) and within warranty, are intended for installation by authorized Lenovo service providers.  That could be an authorized partner, Lenovo onsite, or Lenovo repair depot (depending on warranty terms purchased).    So, boards should be orderable by and sent out to a partner if they are warranty authorized.  If not authorized, they won't be able to order the board.    Without knowing more details, I can't say for certain why things played out as they did.   Outside of warranty, anyone can order / purchase a board and we'd send it out. 

Radiskull,

I know we've had some long repair times and we've been trying to expedite parts and in some cases, have replaced units for customers that had delays beyond a certain point.  We are making progress.  We understand and have fixed the problem and are working to catch up on the part logisitcs.  Here's the formal statement on the situation...

"Lenovo has identified an issue which affects a portion of Think and Idea systems that were manufactured between September and December 2011. The issue manifests as early life failures of the EEPROM chip and results in the system failing to power on or boot up. Not all of the systems manufactured during this period of time are affected.  This is an industry component issue and is not limited to Lenovo.

The solution is to replace the system board, Lenovo has been working through an unanticipated increase in demand for system boards and some repair times have been longer than desired. Lenovo's parts logistics teams have worked closely with suppliers to accelerate availability of replacement boards and service part stocks have been updated with the latest level parts.

Service times are beginning to recover. Where possible, Lenovo is proactively escalating aged customer repairs to ensure resolution as quickly as possible.  We apologize for any inconvenience these delays may have caused."

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

What's DOS?
natasofcols

Not trying to hijack the thread, but wondering if anyone has experienced an issue where the laptop will just freeze/lockup for a minute or so and then shut off?  Reason I ask this here is I was having the same issues as the OP, but luckily it just decided to turn on after doing that alternating blinking for awhile.  Tracking down the random lock/shutdown issue has been somewhat of a mystery, but having the latest issue makes me wonder if I'm slowly seeing a mainboard failure similar to what everyone else is running into on here.

Paper Tape
RTime

Just how long should I expect this to take? I'm going on 4 weeks without an operable laptop. That's about half the time it had actually been working.

I've been patient, but it's really starting to get to me, and my work productivity has suffered tremendously.