Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
Kicker774

Re: T420s not Booting

Thanks Mark. Not what I wanted to hear but good to have an official statement out.

Punch Card
Falko

Thank you for the official statement. Now the DOA process/escalation needs to be improved.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,306
Solutions: 283

RT,

Can you send me a PM with your case #?   I'll see what can be done on that ...

mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Punch Card
Thinkwise01

Re: T420s Green Light - No Display - Motherboard Failure

Out of curiousity, does this motherboard failure issue also affect the regular (non-'s') T420?

Punch Card
gilsongj

Yes, I have. My computer is a T420s with a Intel SSD (320)

It's been a few months since the last time...

natasofcols wrote:

Not trying to hijack the thread, but wondering if anyone has experienced an issue where the laptop will just freeze/lockup for a minute or so and then shut off?  Reason I ask this here is I was having the same issues as the OP, but luckily it just decided to turn on after doing that alternating blinking for awhile.  Tracking down the random lock/shutdown issue has been somewhat of a mystery, but having the latest issue makes me wonder if I'm slowly seeing a mainboard failure similar to what everyone else is running into on here.

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

[ Edited ]

Mark_Lenovo wrote:

YanP,

System boards are considered FRUs (field replacable units) and within warranty, are intended for installation by authorized Lenovo service providers.  That could be an authorized partner, Lenovo onsite, or Lenovo repair depot (depending on warranty terms purchased).    So, boards should be orderable by and sent out to a partner if they are warranty authorized.  If not authorized, they won't be able to order the board.    Without knowing more details, I can't say for certain why things played out as they did.   Outside of warranty, anyone can order / purchase a board and we'd send it out. 

Radiskull,

I know we've had some long repair times and we've been trying to expedite parts and in some cases, have replaced units for customers that had delays beyond a certain point.  We are making progress.  We understand and have fixed the problem and are working to catch up on the part logisitcs.  Here's the formal statement on the situation...

"Lenovo has identified an issue which affects a portion of Think and Idea systems that were manufactured between September and December 2011. The issue manifests as early life failures of the EEPROM chip and results in the system failing to power on or boot up. Not all of the systems manufactured during this period of time are affected.  This is an industry component issue and is not limited to Lenovo.

The solution is to replace the system board, Lenovo has been working through an unanticipated increase in demand for system boards and some repair times have been longer than desired. Lenovo's parts logistics teams have worked closely with suppliers to accelerate availability of replacement boards and service part stocks have been updated with the latest level parts.

Service times are beginning to recover. Where possible, Lenovo is proactively escalating aged customer repairs to ensure resolution as quickly as possible.  We apologize for any inconvenience these delays may have caused."

I have two T420's made during this timeframe. How do I confirm the issue affects them?  I believe the one I am typing on is starting to shows signs of this issue.

Token Ring
Kicker774

gilsongj wrote:

Yes, I have. My computer is a T420s with a Intel SSD (320)

It's been a few months since the last time...

natasofcols wrote:

Not trying to hijack the thread, but wondering if anyone has experienced an issue where the laptop will just freeze/lockup for a minute or so and then shut off?  Reason I ask this here is I was having the same issues as the OP, but luckily it just decided to turn on after doing that alternating blinking for awhile.  Tracking down the random lock/shutdown issue has been somewhat of a mystery, but having the latest issue makes me wonder if I'm slowly seeing a mainboard failure similar to what everyone else is running into on here.

We also have a unit that is doing this even after the systemboard was replaced.

We are going to swap RAM and see if that resolves the issue.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,306
Solutions: 283

Re: T420s Green Light - No Display - Motherboard Failure

Thinkwise01,

No, the regular T420 series would not be affected by this particular symptom.

Thorshammer,

I'll follow up with you by PM shortly.  Unfortunately, we aren't in a position to go to individual unit and predict whether or not a system will have the problem.   I posted to the thread to let everyone know we are aware of the issue, have taken steps to resolve in new build and part stocks, so that repaired systems should not have a recurrence.  Presently, this looks like an early life failure.

All,

There can be other circumstances that could lead to a no start up, so I think we have ot be careful in forums not to group too many things together which may or may not be the same thing.  A random no start and then return to proper function symptom doesn't fit this particular issue.  

Thanks

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Ctrl-Alt-Del
booths

Willem, I think your confidence was misplaced. Three weeks after the initial report, and two weeks after getting the on-site support warrnty recognised, I still don't event have an ETA for the spare part, let alone sight of the repair actually being completed, despite being promised this more than once!

I have now started to talk to my legal advisors.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
booths

Mark

It amazes me that I have to come to a forum such as this to find out what the current situation really is. Having logged the initial call three weeks ago, and having repeatedly called the service desk looking for any sort of informative update, I have been provided with NO useful information other than a vague promise to get back to me with an ETA for a replacement motherboard.

It goes without syaing to NOBODY HAS EVER CALLED ME BACK.

If this represents  the future of the ThinkPad levels of quality and support that I have come to expect over the past 20 years (I have personally owned and specified IBM/Think brand latops and desktops ever soince the IBM N33SX was released and hve never experience such atrocious levels of support.

Stephen