Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
cpl
Fanfold Paper
cpl

T420s + SSD extremly slow start from hibernate

Hey folks,

I recently bought a T420s with 80GB SSD and 320GB HDD.Besides the fan noise issue and the crappy display I am at least really happy with the speed - except the following problem: Whenever I want to rewake the notebook from hibernate it takes extremly long, even longer than a normal windows start up - and longer than my 5 year old sony vaio. When loading it displays the Windows 7 animation, having returned to the desktop screen it works immediatly well.

I'd be glad if there were any suggestions to solve this problem!

Thank you!

Chris

802.11n
CorkyG

Re: T420s + SSD extremly slow start from hibernate

[ Edited ]

Where is your hiberfil.sys located? If it is on the 320 spindle drive, then it will slowdown the recovery. It normally resides on the boot drive, but with small SSDs,. some folks put it on the bigger, cheaper, data drive.

And, the real question is, why hibernate? With a SSD a cold boot would be faster. Hibernation must restore data from a HDD.

cpl
Fanfold Paper
cpl

Thanks your your help!

Although my window search does not find a file called like this, I am pretty sure that it is located on the SSD, as the HDD was initially completely empty.The reason why I want to use Hibernate is that the notebook use after a certain time and save battery when idle without causing any data loss (compared to an automatic shutdown). It takes so long that I cannot believe that this is normal. I am going to stop the time, maybe somebody with the same configuration can check if it also takes that long. I don't know if it's important but I compared my notebook to a HDD mac book pro 13 inch and it was always slightly quicker, both at starting the OS and starting e.g. excel or word. disappointing.

Are there any other alternatives to hibernate that make more sense in combination with a SSD?

gan
Topics: 4
Kudos: 111
Solutions: 108

The hiberfil.sys is a hidden file that is located on the root of your boot drive. I guess that would be C:\hiberfil.sys. If you enter command prompt and type "dir c:\ /a" im sure you will find the file. Or change the settings so Windows explorer will see hidden and system files.

Using a SSD each NAND cell can be erased a limited number of times before it stops reliably holding charge which means it becomes unusable. So you have a limited number of writes using a SSD before it will die. A lot of people sugguest to not use hibernation when using a SSD to prevent additional writes that will wear out the SSD faster. It's not like the SSD will die in a few months, but it will last longer will less writing. So you might want to consider using hibernate or not. Except from standby or a shutdown there is no other options to hibernate.

Why it's so slow i don't know and cannot compare since i do have a SSD, but do not use hibernate. How long does it take? Did you do a clean install using the Windows 7 DVD and is the SSD performing fast except for the hibernate?

-gan

Guru
ColonelONeill

How fast it goes into/resumes from hibernate is somewhat proportional to the amount of RAM you have.

Furthermore, the SSD might be experiencing performance degradation that comes from day-to-day usage. You can try to run a TRIM command on it.

Another issue: SSDs can't (shouldn't) be defragged conventionally, and hibernate works best as one giant sequential read and write. So if your hiberfil.sys ends up fragmented across the SSD, you'll still have poor hibernate performance.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
802.11n
TheDude

I dont use hibernate with a SSD.  Boot times are good without it, and becase it is so large and writes so often, the file will fragment and cause many writes to the drive.  Hibernate was needed with conventional drives (I use it on my T61p) but not with SSD (my T400).

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
cpl
Fanfold Paper
cpl

Thank's for your comments so far.

I just tested how long it takes to resume von Hibernate and it is about 1 Minute.

RAM (8GB) shoudln't be the problem, as well as a very fragmented drive as the notebook is only few weeks old and also took so long to resume the first time.

Is there anybody with T420s + SSD (i5, 8GB RAM - not sure if this is important?) who can tell me how long it takes to resume from hibernate and to do a cold start?

thank you!

Punch Card
Iucounu

Try disabling hibernation.  When you would have hibernated, consider using standby/resume (which is super-fast by comparison) or shutting down instead.

Is it possible that your SSD is not aligned properly?  This can cause performance degradation.

cpl
Fanfold Paper
cpl

I bought the complete package like this from lenovo and didn't change anything.

Is it possible that they failed to install it correctly. I was kind of angry because they e.g. also didn't deactivate defragmentation which is strongly recommended everywhere when using SSD. I expected a working product....

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

cpl wrote:

I bought the complete package like this from lenovo and didn't change anything.

Is it possible that they failed to install it correctly. I was kind of angry because they e.g. also didn't deactivate defragmentation which is strongly recommended everywhere when using SSD. I expected a working product....

How do you know defrag was executing against the SSD?  Most people don't know how to check properly.