Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
pesche
Accepted Solution

T420s Win7 - Keyboard repeat rate slows down after S3 standby / resume

Hello everybody,

I have kind of a annoying problem with my T420s keyboard.

Similar to a X-Series thread I also found on this forum: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/keyboard-repeat-rate-slows-down-on-its-own/td-...

Every time after a resume from S3 standby, my keyboard repeat rate is slowed down.

I have to open windows keyboard settings and restore my preferred repeat rate.

In the event viewer there is always one entry from the driver i8042prt (Microsoft ps/2 keyboard driver) which states that it was not possible to set the keyboard repeat rate. (German: "Wiederholungsrate und Verzögerung der Tastatur konnten nicht eingestellt werden.")

I tried flashing the newest Bios and installing the newest Lenovo drivers, but without success. The problem still remains.

I've also tried some third party software like Keyboard King to set the repeat rate. Unfortunately with strange side effects like no typing possible in Google Docs(only there).

I also tried a custom task which is scheduled to kick in after resume from standby and to load the proper keyboard settings back to registry. This is working fine, but the keyboard driver does not load the new settings.

I still have to open the windows keyboard settings dialog.

What really annoys me is, that Lenovo selling this pretty expensive Notebook (with its world best keyboard), is not capable of fixing this issue. Every super cheap netbook can do this better.

I am really disappointed...

Best

Peter

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: T420s Win7 - Keyboard repeat rate slows down after S3 standby / resume

Hello Peter,

Kindly install service pack 1 and check as it should resolve the issue.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=5842

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Fanfold Paper
sohn1392

Hello,

I actually have a somewhat similar issue with the keyboard. The input rate gets really slow  from time to time (about once in 3~4 days) and the only fix is to reboot the machine... T420s fan noise is already giving me enough headache. I'm very very disappointed at Lenovo.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
pesche

[ Edited ]

Hello Tanuj,

thanks for your answer.

I've downloaded the SP1 installer for x64 systems. It just claims that SP1 is already installed. I knew it was already installed, but figured it maybe could be reapplied.

Maybe I should install a fresh Windows 7 and not use the Lenovo preinstalled one(also not the recovery discs)?

Best Regards,

Peter

Fanfold Paper
ctrler

I have the same thing happening in a T420. SP1 is installed and this is the original windows 7 64 bit installation from lenovo that came with the pc.

What's DOS?
templink

I have the exact same keyboard issue. T420s with Win 7 x64, SP1 as shipped from Lenovo.

For the record, I also have the system fan issue, but I have been using TPfancontrol to address it.

Paper Tape
TheChadd

I'm just chiming in here, too. I have the exact same issue.  Lenovo T420, Win 7 Enterprise.

Paper Tape
fru2

And yet another user looking for a solution to this strange problem (T420, Win7 Professional 64bit SP1). Would this forum be the place to look for an answer from Lenovo? fru2
Paper Tape
SaabBrat

T410s also has the same issue with x64 Win7 and Win8

Punch Card
calkenneth

This is a problem I have with my T420s and the T420 I use at work. It is definitely more prevalent on the T420 I use at work.

I think this problem is more of a Windows and keyboard driver problem vs. a Lenovo problem. Take a look at this thread:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/98b338cb-6f37-451d-9e32-5f6bdac9d4...