Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
natehuge

T420s and Mini Dock Plus 3 170W - Random Shutdowns

On at least three separate occassions my T420s has randomly powered off -- no warning, no memory dump, no blue screen.  It just freezes for a few seconds (the screens are on but mouse doesn't move) and then just turns off.  I think all of them happened while the T420s was docked, but I can't be sure.  This is very weird.

OS is Windows 7 64 bit, factory build.  

Any suggestions?

Punch Card
Jesper_Juul

Re: T420s and Mini Dock Plus 3 170W - Random Shutdowns

Is there something in the Windows Log about the shutdown?

Have you upgraded the ram?

Kind Regards
Jesper

T61P and 2*T43P
Paper Tape
natehuge

I have not upgraded the RAM. 

There was something in the Event Viewer.  Looks like I had 4 Critical events at different dates that seem to correspond to when the shut down happened.  Here are the events:

Source: Kernel-Power

Event ID: 41

Task Category: (63)

Keywords:smileysad:2)

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

BugcheckCode 0

SleepInProgress false

PowerButtonTimestamp 0

Paper Tape
natehuge

Hi All -

This happened again -- during the night it had a random shutdown.  When I went to use the laptop in the morning, it was off and I had to start it up. Once again there was an event logged in the event viewer.

Is this a hardware issue with the T420s?

What's DOS?
brhodes

Anyone happen to know if there is a fix for this, or what is the root cause? My company recently began deploying the t420s, and our first (only) user thus far is having issues with random shutdowns and/or not being able to shutdown. I went through and updated drivers and the BIOS which seemed to make it better, but it just happened again this morning.

What's DOS?
jh10101

Hi, I've got the exact same issue. New T420s, Windows 7 64 bit. Randomly powers off, after freezing for a few seconds. This happens roughly once per day, but sometimes it is more frequent. I too thought it might be the dock, so I tried running the laptop without the dock. Worked ok for 1 day but on the second day it happened again. So I'm fairly confident it is a problem with the laptop itself.

Machine type: 4173 K8M, dock type 4337.

Anyone have any ideas about this?

What's DOS?
brhodes

Our 1 deployed unit (so far) has at this point been swapped for a different machine (same model, t420s) to see what that does, so far so good.

If the problem stays gone for a few weeks, I'll likely contact Lenovo for some warranty service, as it seems like some bad hardware.

Blue Screen Again
gabipetrovay

Hi,

I have just bought a T420s (4173-R36) and I have the same problem. Random freezes and sometimes ahutdown after.

I have installed Windows 7, 64-bit and all the drivers for T420s from the lenovo drivers site for this model.

The problem also appears when you work on the laptop (like editing some images).

I have perfored full tests with:

- memtest86 (RAM)

- SeaTools (SSD)

They show no errors. So I assume it is not a problem with the hardware. Probably it's one of the drivers.

Any knews on this from somebody having this problem? Or are you other out there that have the same problem?

Thanks!

Gabriel

Blue Screen Again
gabipetrovay

Forgot to mention that the problems happens every 30min.-1 hour. And only sometimes after freezing it shuts down.
What's DOS?
brhodes

We ended up swapping the HD for the busted machine with a different t420s, and of course the problems went away.

I called Lenovo and had them send out a tech to do a mobo swap on the problem machine. I figure if you aren't going to support on your forums, you can send someone out under warranty.