Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Guru
Mornsgrans

Re: T420s broken USB ports (Repeat issue of the T400 USB ports)

[ Edited ]

Seems to be a problem with the structure frame.

Quote from thinkpad-forum.de

------------------------

I've now had the second T420 in the hand occurs in the following problem:

The upper USB port right rear grooved leaves on a USB flash drive or another USB connector three deep, caused by the poorly deburred overhead slides in the port.

A second user had the same problem.

A few days later:

The magnesium frame, which is very close to the board pressed on the clasps of the USB port, insert the USB connector so that when one can not juddering. Thus arises a sluggishness when inserting USB connectors or even wear on the chip housing of the USB plug. If this is made ​​true with newer USB devices from Kunstsoff, the USB device after kurer time is no longer usable.
There is also a problem, an expensive insert USB stick, which then transmits through the use of it in the notebook type of damage, especially if it comes from other or customers.

My T420 is now because of the USB ports for the third time in the repair. For this purpose it was sent to Frankfurt.

A third user:

Also had the once in one of my T510 - but without abrasion, only sluggishly with grinding marks.

by Google translator

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Token Ring
Kicker774

lead_org wrote:
However, i have seen people breaking the left usb ports on the T4x0s machine when knocking on the usb device whilst inserted in that usb ports.

That happens yes but when it does the device is more or less ripped out of the port and those pins would be bent.

When you look at the pins on the unit pictured the pins are perfectly straight. This would seem to indicate the user pulled the device straight out as intended.

Token Ring
Kicker774

JameZ wrote:
Kicker774,

Personally I haven't come across any broken USB ports so far in the forum.

//JameZ

With respect JameZ you did not answer my question which I made quite clear:

"Do you see any physical damage to this port aside from the missing plastic piece?"

I am seeking to resolve a customer service issue.

We were told over the phone by your front line staff that if there was no other damage to the USB port other than the missing plastic piece then it would be covered under warranty.

A few days later we're told that it was deemed physical damage and would cost us $750 to repair.

Do you beleive this is physical damage to the laptop? Or are you willing to acknowledge a manufacturing defect?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

hum, plastic probably snapped off.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Retired Employee
JameZ

Nope, have not seen any. Do share a pic of the broken part if you can.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Token Ring
Kicker774

JameZ I wasn't asking if you had seen the issue previously with the 420 units.

I was asking you to look at the picture I posted of our unit in my first post and tell me what damage you see aside from the missing plastic piece.

The firstline Lenovo support rep said it would be covered so long as there is no additional damage aside from the missing plastic piece.  In your opinion do you see any additional damage to this unit?

I'd like to know what additional damage to the port there is that Lenovo is not standing by what they promised over the phone.