Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
sheridanrl

T420s - stuck on SimpleTap Screen after autoupdate

Help! my T420s was hibernating, i tapped the power button to wake it as usual, but this time it went into shutdown and autoupdate install and reboot. This then appeared to be hung on a black screen, only the red simpletap thumb at top.

The laptop is actually operational, u can launch any of the apps, and by using my chrome browser to get to the C drive i can launch other applications, but i cant get to the desktop or the windows menu.. it seems as if it is just blocked by the simpletap screen... any ideas?  

I've tried rebooting a few times, but it always goes directly back to the simpletap black screen (which if you click on brings up the icons there)

Any help appreciated!!

Thanks 

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: T420s - stuck on SimpleTap Screen after autoupdate

Not sure what could be doing that.  I'd recommend uninstalling SimpleTap.  If you press Ctrl-Esc, does the start menu load?  If so, type "uninstall a program" and then find Lenovo SimpleTap in the list, then click "uninstall".

Paper Tape
sheridanrl

yeah weird one. no, ctrl-esc doesnt do anything (that can be seen anyway!)

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

[ Edited ]

In that case press ctrl-alt-del, start task manager, kill SimpleTap.exe, and then uninstall it.  Sorry for the trouble!

Paper Tape
sheridanrl

ok task mgr comes up, killed simpletap.exe, the red thumb mark disappeared, still a black desktop, and still no windows menu thru ctrl-esc, so cannot uninstall it.. getting closer! :-)

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Now I am thinking your problem is something else and not really related to SimpleTap.  Although I'm sorry I don't have any ideas about it.  Might be time to restore from backup?

Paper Tape
sheridanrl

hm, backup has been failing for a couple of weeks now, instant fail on trying to kick it off without reason.
Boo. What happened to Thinkpads? Used to beso  easy to use yrs ago, this latest one has been a painful experience. What am i supposed to do now?

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Something is seriously messed up on your system.  I'd recommend factory restore after saving all your data files.