Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bit Torrent
tripplec

Re: T420s white spots on display

alexcriss wrote:

I'll look into that. Unofrtunately, if memory serves me well, I don't think I have a service depot close to my place, and taking the laptop there will cost me fuel and time, which warranty clearly does not cover.

True but the gravity of the issue can be seen my a technician who can advocate for replacement in your behalf.

Sometimes you have to go the extra miles to get satisfaction. Other than when you call for support insist on a customer service manage/rep to talk to. Arrange to send it in for them to see for themselves.

Just trying the help. Sometimes there is no easy way especially on online purchase.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
Intel Sandy Bridge & Nvidia NVS 4200M graphics Intel N 6300 Wi-Fi adapter
Windows 7 Home Prem - 64bit w/8GB DDR3
Punch Card
alexcriss

tripplec wrote:

alexcriss wrote:

I'll look into that. Unofrtunately, if memory serves me well, I don't think I have a service depot close to my place, and taking the laptop there will cost me fuel and time, which warranty clearly does not cover.

True but the gravity of the issue can be seen my a technician who can advocate for replacement in your behalf.

Sometimes you have to go the extra miles to get satisfaction. Other than when you call for support insist on a customer service manage/rep to talk to. Arrange to send it in for them to see for themselves.

Just trying the help. Sometimes there is no easy way especially on online purchase.

I know that you are trying to help, and I really appreciate your suggestion. In fact, I didn't think of solving it that way, and it is indeed a very though suggestion :smileyhappy:

Bit Torrent
tripplec

You could phone the service depot and talk to them about it and get a feel for what they might be able to do. But in the meantime, phone Lenovo and get in touch with a customer service manager (escalate you issue). Don't discuss it further with the off shore reps who many just read a script. They don't see the flaw. You tell them if it was like that in a computer store you would not buy it. Hopefully that lead to a serious assessment and let their senior engineers look at it. Odd are they will replace the screen if that is the problem and not a back lighting issue. Whatever, repaired and back to you.

then you can settle back with some Italina wine.
nibs
Topics: 43
Kudos: 143
Solutions: 39

These white spots have become more common on all laptops in recent years. According to my friendly Lenovo authorized tech, Lenovo is much better about repairing them compared to other brands (at least in the US). I wish the best of luck to you in your repair.

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.

My TPs: Twist 2HU: i5-3317U Win 8 Pro, 4GB RAM 250GB Samsung 840 | T420 4177CTO: i5-2520M, HD+, Win 7 Pro x64, 8GB RAM, Optimus, 160GB Intel 320 SSD, Intel 6300 WiFi, BT 3.0 | T400 2764CTO: P8700, WXGA, Win 7 Ult x64, AMD 3470, 8GB RAM, 64GB Samsung SSD, BT, Intel 5300 WiFi | A20m 14.1" PIII 500 (retired). Monitors: 2x Dell U2211h IPS 100% sRGB calibrated w/ Spyder3.
Punch Card
alexcriss

Then US based Lenovo's engineers seem to take much more sensible decisions than EU ones. My laptop is coming back from support whithout a new panel, after three weeks of struggling and complaining. The end result for me was a long wait with no fix. Disappointed.

Bit Torrent
tripplec

Sound like you just got it like that. DOA with that defect. If you're not happy you're able to return it!!
Guru
ColonelONeill

nibs wrote:

These white spots have become more common on all laptops in recent years. According to my friendly Lenovo authorized tech, Lenovo is much better about repairing them compared to other brands (at least in the US). I wish the best of luck to you in your repair.

Oh really? I've seen them on more than 50% of my friends' laptops (independent of brand). Never had these spots on one of my machines or my family's... ThinkPads ftw?

It seems to me like something is rubbing off a polarization layer on the screen. More often than not, the spots aren't visible at all head on, but are only visible from way off angle.

W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
nibs
Topics: 43
Kudos: 143
Solutions: 39

I think they are less prevalent on ThinkPads, in general. This probably reflects the TPs quality of engineering. I imagine Lenovo is more willing to replace since they are rarer, and thus considered a defect. Whereas on other manufacturers they show up all the time are probably considered normal.

I am also told that the wider the screen, the more likely it is that it will develop the spots over its lifetime. They tend to start small and grow over time. I have similar spots on my GPS (Tom Tom) and I've seen them on a T400.

In my experience the spots can be visible head on, but it can be more difficult to see them. To me, the spots often look like a localized area of increased backlighting. Every color over the spot seems to be brighter / washed out compared to the area around it.

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.

My TPs: Twist 2HU: i5-3317U Win 8 Pro, 4GB RAM 250GB Samsung 840 | T420 4177CTO: i5-2520M, HD+, Win 7 Pro x64, 8GB RAM, Optimus, 160GB Intel 320 SSD, Intel 6300 WiFi, BT 3.0 | T400 2764CTO: P8700, WXGA, Win 7 Ult x64, AMD 3470, 8GB RAM, 64GB Samsung SSD, BT, Intel 5300 WiFi | A20m 14.1" PIII 500 (retired). Monitors: 2x Dell U2211h IPS 100% sRGB calibrated w/ Spyder3.
Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

[ Edited ]

"User induced damage."

Incredible.

Punch Card
alexcriss

Yes,

So they say. I told them that I am very disappointed in their behaviour, though I don't think my email will make a difference. Their engineers are either arrogant (white spots) or indifferent (fan noise) to users' problems, no matter what evidence users provide.

If anybody thinks of upgrading warranty here in Europe, don't do it, it won't help you whatever your problem is.