Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
baleibov

T420s will not boot to USB jump drive

I have been trying to install a new version of windows on my T420s laptop but have been unable to get the system bios to allow me to select the USB jump drive. I have tried a number of different BIOS setting trying to get the drive to show up in the F12 boot list. The only devices that show up are the SSD Hard Drive, the CD/DVD drive and the network boot option.

I have searched this site for insight as to why the system will not see the USB, but have not found anything that has worked.

Please note I have tried all 3 USB ports, I have 3 different USB jump drives and each of them work when connected to other systems.

Thank you.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: T420s will not boot to USB jump drive

Hello and welcome,

How did you prepare the flash drives to make them bootable?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Blue Screen Again
baleibov

I used the MS "Window7-USB-DVD-tool.exe" with the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, ISO file.

I also have a older USB Boot of Windows 7 that I do not remember how I built, that device is a FAT 32 where the newer builds are NTFS.

Broadband 3G
JDay

Try hitting F12 (or is it F10?) to select boot device.

Paper Tape
ThinkPink

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue, but with T520.

There is no option in BIOS, or at least I couldn't find it, where to specify to boot from USB. I tried pressing F12 and choose USB from there, but all I get is a window with 2 tabs:

Boot Menu | Application Menu

In the Boot Menu there are 3 options:

ATAPI CD0: HL_DT_STDVDRAM...

ATA HDD0: HITACHI....

PCI LAN: IBA GE Slot 00C8 v1366

There is no USB option.

The USB stick was tested on another machine, it was detected and I could boot from it.

The laptop has the latest firmware installed.

Any idea is welcome.

802.11n
CorkyG

[ Edited ]

First, the USB thumb drive should be in FAT32 format.  And it has to be boot configured.  Next, the F12 key must be press immediately as soon as the first image appears on screen (Press Blue Button statement.)  Once it starts booting internally, it is too late.

I do it every week with my T510, and there's never a problem.

The F12 key must be press fairly had and held just a wee bit  - a tap won't cut it.

Lst item in the F12 menu is SETUP.  That is where the USB boot has to be enabled.

Blue Screen Again
baleibov

I have done all of these steps with no success.

What to you mean by your last statement. "That is where the USB boot has to be enabled"

As stated earlier the F12 boot menu does not list the USB device.

Blue Screen Again
baleibov

Finally got my system to boot to USB jump drive.

Please try the following.

In BIOS on the setup tab go to "Boot" and press enter.

Verify that nothing happens.

Next scroll down to "Boot Manager" and set it to "Enabled"

Save and reboot.

Now enter BIOS again and go to set and press Enter on "Boot".

After doing this the boot device list came up and I could enable boot to USB HDD.

Paper Tape
orbulat

Hi All, i am using T420s, if i plug my usb 3.0 harddrive to it, it simply freezes at the first screen... not to say boot from, no use even press "blue button"

any ideas?..
Token Ring
peednus

You can't have anything plugged in during the lenovo splash screen.  If you want to boot from USB, then as soon as the lenovo screen disappears, you press F12 and plug in your USB