Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
hlarsen
Accepted Solution

T430 - Keyboard backlight not working

I just received my T430  (2342 CTO) laptop today and it seems like the backlit keyboard is not working, I've tried pressing Fn+space, and if I tilt the computer and look under the keys I can see a very weak light under the keyboard, it doesn't change after pressing the buttons for the second time, but after pressing them for the third time the thinklight turns on.
I'm afraid that my computer has a faulty keyboard backlight, or do I need to some drivers?
I looked up this problem and saw that someone recommended downloading a BIOS and Power management driver update.. but that didn't change anything.
Please help, I really want this to work.
(Sorry, my english is not prefect)

Token Ring
alvinwong

Re: T430 - Keyboard backlight not working

The Fn+Space key combination loops through these configurations:

Off -> Keyboard backlight -> Brighter keyboard backlight -> ThinkLight

Are you actually trying it under a bright environment? You won't see the effect like that.

I would suggest you upload a (few) photo(s).
Fanfold Paper
hlarsen

Okay, so i took pictures of all the stages.
1) when everything is off
2) weak backlight
3) Strong backlight
4) thinklight
You can take a look at these images IMAGES
and as you can see, there is no noticable difference between 1, 2 and 3.
I can barely notice a weak light when i look under the keyboard in a dark room.
I'm almost certain that my brand new computer has a faulty keyboard backlight :smileysad:
and I'm leaving USA 2nd January, what are my options?
(I ordered my laptop through the website).

Tout1108G
Topics: 0
Kudos: 121
Solutions: 57

Hey there hlarsen,

If you will private message my your serial number, let me take a look at how your configuration was shipped to try and get a complete specific configuration. Also, has the backlight previously worked on your laptop? And if so, what(if any) updates has the machine undergone?

Thank you.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,340

if the user ThinkPad is shipped without the backlit Precision keyboard then pressing Fn+Space will instantly activate the Thinklight.

Only Backlit version of the Precision Keyboard would need three presses to activate the Thinklight.

The fact that you can see a faint LED light under the keyboard means that your LED light for the keyboard is not properly laminated into the keyboard bottom layer.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
hlarsen

Hey Jin Li

You're probably right about the LED light not being properly laminated.
Can you show me a link to some instructions or anything to fix that?

Regards,

hlarsen

Tout1108G

[ Edited ]

Hey there hlarsen,

Due to the behavior that your keyboard is giving, and alongside Jin Li's advice, it would appear necessary to contact support. Now you can either contact technical support and see about a replacement, or alternatively, contact sales since the laptop you received appears to have a defective part. Ultimately the route you wish to choose is yours.

For the US:

Technical Support Line - 1-800-426-7378

Questions After You Buy/Sales - 1-866-428-4465

Keep is updated on your progress further. Good Luck, and Thank You for being a part of the Lenovo Community.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.
Fanfold Paper
hlarsen

Ok, thank you guys.

Tout1108G

Absolutely hlarsen, and please keep us to date on your progress.

Thank You for being a part of the Lenovo Community!

Blue Screen Again
georgeK

Hi,

I have excatly the same problem, I have bought a laptop including an US backlit keyboard and all first three options of pressing FN+space noting happens and then the Thinglight is ok.

I can see very low light under the keys but it does not light the keys  and it is useless.

Is it a definetely a hardware problem, when I removed the battter to try to reboot it and I can see through the cover cage that eveything under is well stacked even over stacked and like a bag with cloths rather than nice and lean set.

I am so disappointed that this a fault of Assembling. I have doubt that the the backlit is ok but the assembly engineer has forgotton to change the keys itself. It is a shame. It is very expensive configuration, and now I am on buisness trip to London, Europe, and dont know what to do? Can I contact Lenovo there, it doesn seems that I am going back to US for next three months :smileyfrustrated:

Regards,

George