Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
mfox
Accepted Solution

T500 Driver matrix incomplete

I'm trying to setup a T500 2055-3AU with Windows XP Pro.  I have everything else working but I can't locate the last 2 drivers.  These drivers are not on the driver matrix page for the T500.  I know this because I'm so frustrated that I installed every windows XP driver listed on this page:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-70443

I have opened a ticket with Lenovo but they aren't helping me either, they want me to order their image cd for $40.  I don't need this because we have our own volume license.

These devices show as "base system device" in device manager.  There were 3 of them but I located the 3rd driver on the Ricoh website (it was the 4-in-1 card reader)...so there are at least 3 drivers missing from the matrix page.

If anyone with a T500 model similiar to mine could post screenshots of an expanded device manager it would definitely bring you some good karma.

Before anyone says it I know this has been posted already but none of those threads have the answer!

Lenovo Staff
Icepick

Re: T500 Driver matrix incomplete

Have you tried TVSU?  Even if you want to manually install drivers, this program can scan your system and recommend updates.

Punch Card
mfox

[ Edited ]

Yes I tried system update.  That was step 1 after instaling XP SP3.  The problem with that is that even after installing everyhing available in system update there are still 8 or so missing drivers. 

I was able to install the remainder manually but there are these 2 remaining "base system devices".

Message Edited by mfox on 03-10-2009 06:55 AM
Punch Card
mfox

[ Edited ]

This is what you're left with after installing Windows XP SP3 and installing every update from the windows update site, AND after running every available update from Lenovo System Update.

screenshot

Really...it would make it 100x easier if they would just configure system update to be able to deploy all available drivers.

- The PCI Serial Port and PCI Simple Communications Controller are installed with the 2 AMT drivers.  Those would be called "Intel Active Management Technology" and "Intel Management Engine Interface" in add/remove programs.

Message Edited by mfox on 03-10-2009 07:38 AM
Token Ring
tsihh

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Had the same problem with T400 and XP SP3. Unless Lenovo will update Intel AMT drivers you can't get rid of them (you probaly can by hacking registry soinstaller would think you have SP2)

My original post is here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=Special_Interest_Windows&thread.id=2094

Rgds,

Ahti

Message Edited by tsihh on 03-10-2009 10:52 PM
Punch Card
mfox

I found all of the drivers for the PCI devices, it's the "base system devices" that I can't figure out (2 of them that is...the 3rd is the 4-in-1 ricoh card reader.)

It's not exactly the same issue.

Lenovo Staff
Confederate

Search the Lenovo support site for MIGR-70665

That should help.

Terry

Punch Card
mfox

[ Edited ]

Sorry...but this is why that link doesn't help me...I've already been there.

From link:  Once TVSU has finished installed there could be several unknown devices remaining in device manager. This is because not all of the drivers have been added to the TVSU server list. Drivers are added to the list each day so multiple installs on multiple days will result in different unknown devices. At the bottom of this document is a screen capture of the Lenovo specific devices from Device Manager. 

Okay...The screenshot isn't there so how do I find out which drivers I am missing?  I have already reported that to Lenovo by phone over a week ago but they do not seem to care because they aren't even trying to help me.

I have installed the disabling tool for the Intel Turbo Memory Driver but it doesn't appear to do anything.  It doesn't make any of the uninstalled devices go away in device manager anyway.  There doesn't appear to be a turbo memory driver for Windows XP on that page...only Vista.

The matrix storage driver doesn't make any of the uninstalled devices disappear either...but it adds something new to device manager...which is kind of odd in itself that this device didn't show as an uninstalled device in the first place.

There's no Ricoh 4-in-1 Card Reader driver on the driver matrix page for the T500. 

There's no SmartCard Reader Driver on the matrix page for the T500.

both of those are listed as things I should install in that document.

UPDATE:  The 4-in-1 card reader driver for the T500 can be found by searching for MIGR-68053 on the Lenovo site...why that's not in the driver matrix is beyond explanation. 

Here's what I'm left with now:

Screenshot2

Message Edited by mfox on 03-12-2009 07:48 AM
Message Edited by mfox on 03-12-2009 08:12 AM
zilla
Kudos: 62
Solutions: 14

[ Edited ]

I noticed before that this page often is more complete than the driver matrix. I see both the 4-in-1 card reader and the smartcard reader drivers are included here.

Message Edited by zilla on 2009-03-13 02:23 AM

T500: Vista 32, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 15.4" 1680x1050, 500GB 7200rpm, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD. T42: XP, 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500.

Punch Card
eheikell

Hi mfox-

I've struggled with this issue for both my T61 (XP-SP3) AND my brand-new T500 (Vista-SP1).  Here's the skinny on those two left-over base devices: 

They are  IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers- one for Ricoh Memory Stick Controller, one for RicohSD/MMC Host controler, and one for Ricoh xD-Picture Card Controller.  When you run Ricoh 4in1, it only installs one of the 3 devices.  I don't know which of the 3 is now showing in your Device Mgr properly (probably the memory stick controller), but you have to do the following for the other two.

Open C:\Drivers\WIN\4IN1.  You will see six sub-directories- MS, MS-64 (memory stick, 32/64), SDMMC, SDMMC-64 (SDMMC Host controller- 32/64bit), XD and XDx64 (XD-PictureCC, 32/64bit).

Open Device Mgr and determine under IDE/ATA.... which of the 3 above is already installed.  Then go to the unknown devices, right-click on the first | Update driver (blah blah) | and point to the appropriate sub-dir in the c:\drivers\4in1 directory and finish the install of that device.  You may have to guess which directory to point to- the "unknown device" doesn't tell you which it is until after the driver is installed.  My experience was the first unknown device will be the the next appropriate one in the 4in1 subdir list.

Move on to the final device, using the same process.  This should leave you with no unknown devices.  Now....

[rant on]

Why TVUpdate doesn't FIND THE RICOH DEVICES AND INSTALL THEM is baffling to me.  I did an XP install with my T61 using TVUpdate a year ago and it did find these drivers automatically.  When I rebuilt my T61 2 weeks ago, it did not, so I spent days sorting this mess out.

The same thing happened with my T500 installing VistaUltimate this week- no TVUpdate finding the Ricoh 4in1.  But not only that, neither MSUpdate OR TVUpdate bothered to let me know that SP1 wasn't installed, so I fought with Intel/ATI graphics for days until I checked out whether SP1 had been installed- NOT.

What gives with Lenovo?!  I bought the T500 for a friend, telling him that Lenovo had the best driver matrix update system in the industry.  Quite embarrassing to have all this horsing around while he was watching.  Last year Lenovo's driver process was industry leading edge.  This year it's hit or miss.  Too bad IBM no longer owns Lenovo!

[rant off]

Hope this works for you.

e