Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
icarni

T500: How long does the battery last while unplugged?

[ Edited ]

Hello ---

I am running a T500 (2082-8wg) and noticed that after coming back from 10 days vacation the battery in the (unplugged) unit got totally empty.

Is this ok? It doesn't happen to other much older notebooks I own (or at least I did not noticed it).  

moderator note: type added to subject line for clarity

Token Ring
takedown

Re: How long does the battery last while unplugged?

most of the week i use my t500 without battery, over AC. I keep back the battery on my bag (at ~100% of charge) for a week or more (generally 15 days).

Never have this issue.

I use it from ~100% to 35% and then plug the AC, to return to ~100%.

Serial Port
icarni

[ Edited ]

Muchisimas gracias; thanks for kind reply.

Actually, the battery was all the time within the unit and the unit unplugged, so this may be different from carrying the battery in a bag not being within the unit ...... does this make a difference ?

My settings will start charging when battery level reaches 9% and will stop charging at 91% because I heart something like this would increase life and charge cycles ...... Why dont you stop charging right before 100%?

Token Ring
takedown

@icarni say: I heart something like this would increase life and charge cycles ...... Why dont you stop charging right before 100%?

I hear somithing like this, but don't understan at all this info, and don't touch anything in my linux config, if you have info about this, can you post it?

Token Ring
takedown

802.11n
stealthth

That second link is the old way of doing it. The Power Manager app has this feature built in and works really nicely. In Power Manager, go to the battery tab, click on battery maintenance, and there you can set a custum charge threshold. I use 30%-90% and when at home my battery is usually idle at 40%.

Token Ring
takedown

yes, but can't exist a major way to do thing, that the old and kiss way :smileyhappy:

Punch Card
ggruen

I have the same issue as the original poster.  There's another thread on this issue that I've posted in, but it's mostly related to battery drain during hibernation or sleep. For me it happens when my T500 is powered off and unplugged.  I lose about 5-8% per day.  I have very few cycles on the battery, and it's always done this since new. I'm using XP, and I'm switching to Windows 7 when it ships.

So, icarni, did this happen to your battery when the computer was off as well?

Token Ring
matram

Hi

There may be some possible confusion between hibernation and sleep.

In sleep state you keep cpu and memory powered at minimum levels and shut of everything else. This is to increase speed of restore as all your apps are still in memory. However this consumes a fair amount of power so I would expect the battery to be drained in a couple of days in sleep mode.

WIth hibernate you save memory to disc and shut down almost everything. However you still consume a tiny amount of power to check for wake up events like wake on LAN or a fingerprint swipe. This should be in the mW range so the machine should be able to hibernate for a very long time but of course eventually the battery would drain.

Mats

Thinkpad T400s, X61s, X41, 600
Serial Port
icarni

[ Edited ]

@GGRUEN: Yes, unplugged from power while in the docking station (unplugged as well) ..... after 10 days of vacation it was empty. I left it not in stand-by but not sure whether it was in hibernation modus (suspend-to-disk) or in OFF  modus ..... As someone wrote this may be different.