Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
T500CU

T500 battery

Hi All,

I have a question on prolonging my battery lifespan.  It's a habit that I'd remove my battery pack when I'm plugged in because my understanding is that will prolong the battery life.  However, that may be archaic given the battery technology these days. 

What do you do?  Do you leave the battery engaged while plugged in?

Thanks!

ps. I have the 9cell pack if that matters.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,232
Solutions: 1,317

Re: T500 battery

leaving the battery in doesn't really affect the battery life, as long as it is not constantly discharging and charging.

To prolong your battery life make sure you stop repeated top up charging, so i usually set the battery to charge when it drops below 75% and stops at 95% you can do this setting under battery maintenance under Thinkvantage power manager. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Token Ring
matram

Hi

I leave mine in all the time.

I believe todays Lithium ion batteries do not suffer from memory effects and charging is controlled by an IC in the battery.

If think the only thing you can do to increase lifespan is to reduce the number of discharge cycles.

Mats

Thinkpad T400s, X61s, X41, 600
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,232
Solutions: 1,317

i concur with matram

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
HDMI
beickus

as you probably know heat is the no. 1 enemy of lithium battery - so keeping it on all the time shouldn't be of any good... if you have the 9 cell (and treat it well) it should at least hold 5 hours with common use

Fanfold Paper
yankees26an

[ Edited ]

with recent lenovo battery problems, you might want to set the charge level to 50% bc they tend to be useless after they reach around 300 charges