Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
sharon227

T500 cannot change brightness

Hello,

I just bought a T500 with Windows 7 installed.  It seems pretty good and all, but I can't use the function keys (or the settings) to change the screen brightness while running Windows 7.  My machine recognizes the key presses and can change brightness; however, to change the brightness, I have to restart it  My guess is that the video driver isn't working or there's something I need to adjust in the bios.  Does anyone have any suggestions/solutions (or a link to an updated ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 driver for Windows 7)?

Thanks! :smileyhappy:

Fanfold Paper
samgauto

Re: T500 cannot change brightness

I just purchased a loaded T500 with win7 and had the same issue out of box with brightness. I was able to correct it by installing latest driver for monitor on lenovo support site. Hope this helps.

Fanfold Paper
sharon227

Was it this driver that you installed:  http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-62923 ?

Thanks!

Fanfold Paper
samgauto

Well, I went to the device manager in windows, clicked on monitors then thinkpad display 1280x800, then the driver tab, then update driver...took a few min and all is now well.

Fanfold Paper
sharon227

Yeah... I tried that.  The function buttons still don't work.  :smileysad:   Is your graphics card integrated or discrete?  Maybe it's an ATI 3650 driver that I need...

Punch Card
AlterEgo

Hi Sharon227

I have just bought the same machine, and I, too, have this issue. Whilst it's not a fix, you can work around the issue by right clicking on Battery, and select Energy Saving option on Switchable Graphics. Presumably, this is issue that will be addressed with a software update by Lenovo. I've got a case running just now with Lenovov support, so will phone them and tell them that it's a known issue, and the nature of the workaround, as it may help them get a proper fix.

HTH 

Fanfold Paper
sharon227

Thanks a lot!  :smileyhappy: Switching it to the Energy Saving option allows the brightness to change.  I hope they come up with a software fix, and don't end up calling this a feature (like most other companies do :smileytongue: ).

Punch Card
AlterEgo

Hi again, Sharon227,

Lenovo Tech Support sent me this email today, and it appears to provide a permanent fix:

"Good afternoon Sir.

Following our discussion, please refer to the links below. The first one is for the Power Management driver and if you will check the Summary of changes, the latest version fixes some brightness issues.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-70601.html

Please install this, restart the machine and check again the brightness settings. Alos the correct link for the hotkey driver is this one:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-68000

Hope this provides the solution you need.

Punch Card
AlterEgo

Ignore previous posting by me; the 'fix' is not one. Screen brightness still cannot be adjusted nder High Performance mode.

I will persist with Tech Support, and update.

Paper Tape
Die-MBP-Die

Any updates AlterEgo?

I just got a T500 (2081-CTO) and I have this issue out of the box.