Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
YellowJersey

Re: T500 freezing with Windows 7

[ Edited ]

Fortunately, ever since it started doing this, I've been extra diligent in backing up all my files on my external harddrive. So it could die on me right now and I wouldn't lose any data *knocks wood*.

I'm going to go to my local computer shop and ask them about diagnostics. I'm at the point now where I'd be willing to pay to find out what the problem is. If I can pin this down to a problem with the harddrive, then I can just order a new one. Key point, pinning it down.When my little brother's computer started behaving in a similar way, the motherboard and the harddrive needed to be replaced. I figure if I need a new motherboard then the thing's as good as dead.I couldn't even find replacement motherboards on the lenovo site.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,236
Solutions: 1,324

go into your bios menu and switch the graphics card to integrated and retry.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Bit Torrent
tripplec

You can run memory diagnotics via the Win7 boot DVD. If it goes ok then its unlikely its the motherboard since the CPU, memory controller and various chipsets are involved.

You can search the web for HD testing OEM have their own but even doing a CHKDSK /F from the C prompt in admininistrative mode and then rebooting once acknowledged will tell you something. If it goes through without hanging thats the first stage. I saw this with a friend computer with an SSD and it turned out it died.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
Intel Sandy Bridge & Nvidia NVS 4200M graphics Intel N 6300 Wi-Fi adapter
Windows 7 Home Prem - 64bit w/8GB DDR3
Punch Card
YellowJersey

Ok, just switched graphics hard to integrated.

I also ran a hard disk scan and it came up clean.

I'll post again if it freezes up.

Punch Card
YellowJersey

Aaaaand it froze up again. So it looks like switching to integrated graphics card didn't help, and all the harddrive and memory scans I've run come up clean. This is getting frustrating.

Bit Torrent
tripplec

Was it running fine without crashing under the original Vista? Seeing its not working you could put the factory image on and run PC Doctor Lenovo had in Vista. Then you'll know.

Diagnostics are only as good as the software if its cronic most anything will choke. Was the Win7 the same class 64 or 32 bit?
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
Intel Sandy Bridge & Nvidia NVS 4200M graphics Intel N 6300 Wi-Fi adapter
Windows 7 Home Prem - 64bit w/8GB DDR3
Guru
ColonelONeill

I'd try an Ubuntu Live CD for a day or so and see if it happens there.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Punch Card
YellowJersey

Well, I admit defeat. It's reached a point beyond my level of knowledge, so I'm taking it into a computer shop and let them figure out what the problem is.

I thank all of you for your help. I'll let you know what the problem is once the boys at the shop figure it out.

Punch Card
YellowJersey

Well, the shop said it was the harddrive, so I got it replaced. But that hasn't solved the problem. Back to the shop tomorrow. *le sigh*

What's DOS?
bigbrotherr

I have the exact same problem. I have a T500 also. I added RAM and a second hard drive. I upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit.  Now, it randomly freezes, the screen becomes solid light blue and I have to hold down the power button to shut it down. And I also get that buzzing if I'm playing music. I noticed it only happens if I'm doing something. Like, the last time it happened, I had double-clicked a video to watch it and it just froze like I described.

Anyway, I don't have any additional help, but perhaps the fact that we both have the same problem hints at something. For example, I'm guessing the hard drive isn't the problem here.