Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
Benedict

T500 making annoying sound related to screen activity

My new T500 (model 2082-9HG) apparently causes a strange cricket-like high-pitched computer-sound everytime something changes on the screen. It's pretty loud and chirpy at times. Seems to come from somewhere under the [Insert] button or maybe even from the right-channel speaker but I did not trace it with a directional microphone yet.

I was wondering if this is normal, and if and how it can be eliminated. I'm prepared to open the T500 myself, if that is what is required. I'm not  prepared to send it away for this, because I don't expect Lenovo to 'solve' this, since it seems hardware-related. They probably used cheap parts or bad shielding somewhere in the T500 and I doubt they will admit to such fault in their design.

I've 'denoised' ans silenced strange noisy computer-electronics before, using foam and kit and glue and such things, but perhaps a manual for this particular noise-source already exists. Can't imagine being the only or first one with this complaint.

Any and all info on this highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Punch Card
Win5hit

Re: T500 making annoying sound related to screen activity

Hi Benedict!

I've just recieved my T500 an I know exaclty which sound you are talking about :smileyhappy:

I would be very happy if theres a fix to "silence" this noise. Sounds... baaaad!

Best regards

Win5hit

Serial Port
Benedict

[ Edited ]

Well ain't that cute, no response from anyone at lenovo whatsoever.

Moderator edit: Removed abuse from this post.

Community SuperMod
bananaman

This is a user-to-user community. Although Lenovo employees do fly by from time to time, it is not a monitored Lenovo support channel.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Serial Port
Benedict

So apparently me and win5hit are the only ones with ears, and all T500 owners are 'fine' with it?

Really, I'm amazed that such pricey notebooks come with such obvious flaws in this day and age. Doesn't lenovo have some type of clearance and quality control before their product leaves the factory?

Fanfold Paper
sierra42

I have the same problem. I did some research and it suggests that in certain power saving states the processor can make this whining/buzzing sound. My first HP machine had a similar buzz which they refused to accept as a problem. in that case it turned out to be a capacitor with a bad join i believe.

For such an otherwise quiet machine I really wish this problem would be solved! Has anyone else had experience with this?

~ sierra42 ~
HP TC4400
Lenovo T500
-- I am not support, I'm just trying to help! --
Fanfold Paper
manunited518

Mine does it too. You can BARELY hear it though on mine, so I don't mind at all.

Token Ring
zero0

I don't have that issue so I can't hear it at all. Of course mines a 2081-CTO from last year, which could explain why. The only time my system beeps is in a BIOS, doing something wrong, when the power is low or when I'm connecting my power cable to it.

Odds are, IT IS cheap parts that's causing the problem.

--------------------
T500 2081 CTO ~ T9600 2.8GHz ~ WXP Pro 32bit ~ WSXGA+ 15.4 LED ~ATI 3650 ~ 4GB DDR3 RAM ~ 500GB WD 7200rpm
Camera ~ AT&T WWAN ~ CD/DVD Combo Drive ~ Intel WiFi 5300 AGN

Serial Port
Benedict

And I really tend to dislike Lenovo for letting this pass their tests. Sorry to say this, but this does not make them look too good. I have been using a lot of different notebooks through work and friends the last ten years, but none made a sound like this. It's stupid too, since the rest of the T500 is really quiet, so this ruins the effort put in the fan and such.

Serial Port
Benedict

Purposely bumping this thread. Lenovo should read this and listen.

I emailed lenovo directly, but - of course - they did not even respond, except for automatically saying they received the message. And that has been two weeks ago.

I have another issue with lenovo: They refuse to support Windows XP Pro x64 Edition, which is ridiculous. I'm not among those who 'like' the Vista or Windows 7 UI, it is annoying and slow.