Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
s2kdriver80

Re: T510 combo mic/audio port usage?

So I guess using just any old Y-cable (1 male miniplug to 2 female miniplugs) like in the link below won't work?

http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?key=ADPT2MSFMSM&preadd=action

Thanks.

~Paul

Lenovo ThinkPad T410s - 2901CTO
IBM ThinkPad T41p - 2373GGU
Community SuperMod
bananaman

Correct, that won't work. 

The first problem is that the one you're looking at has just a 3-conductor plug (the combo is 4-conductor).

The second problem is that it just fans the conductors out in a Y. You need an adapter which splits the audio to one female and the mic to the another female.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Punch Card
s2kdriver80

Thanks a lot bananaman!

Now, the question I've been waiting to ask.  I sometimes need to record output coming out of the computer.  With my T41p, since it has 2 separate miniplug ports (1 for out, 1 for in), I was able to use that Y-cable I told you about to plug into the T41p out.  Then, one fork would go to my headphones so I can listen to what I'm recording.  The other fork would connect to a male-to-male miniplug wire which would connect back into the T41p in.  This way I can record stuff that I play on my computer.

Now with the T410s, I would obviously have to do it a little differently.  I would use that iPhone Y-cable and plug into the T410s miniplug port.  Then, the out part of the iPhone cable would connect to my Y-cable.  One of the forks on my Y-cable would go to my headphones.  The other fork on my Y-cable would connect to a male-to-male miniplug wire which would loop back and connect to the in part of the iPhone cable.

This would work, right?  In effect, I'm assuming that attaching the iPhone cable on the T410s would be the equivalent of my T41p setup (since it has 1 in and 1 out, stock), except it just doesn't look tidy like the T41p.

~Paul

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Yes that should work, but it's starting to be a lot of cables.

Punch Card
s2kdriver80

Yea I know, but there is no other way to do it.  So I guess that 1 combo port on the T410s can send out and receive in audio signals simultaneously?

~Paul

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Yes.

Punch Card
s2kdriver80

Cool thanks dude.

~Paul

Blue Screen Again
gsfriend

I designed this adapter for use with my customers and the ThinkPads we sell (I'm a Lenovo Reseller). It's a 4 pole male splitter to stereo female (headphone) connector and mono female (microphone) connector.  My customers NEED to use standard mics, and this works perfectly.

http://www.everbatim.net/store/index.php/headphone-microphone-jack-splitter.html

Fanfold Paper
JCvO

[ Edited ]

I can not record using the combi connector   (  W510 W7 )

Why did Lenovo not offer a line in like all PC's have?

Do  splitter cables realy work?  if so  I have a wrong cable?

There is no setting to select the combiport  only the internal micophone  is shown.

I have to use an external USB sound plug as  line input now but that is a step down in quality .

How does the Audio system detect when this external input is used and the internal microphone has to be muted?  When I connect the 4-pole plug the internal mike just stays open.

I have made a cable splitter using a 4 pole 3.5mm  jack  wired out to 2 x 3.5mm 3-pole plugs.

the connections:

Audio out :   R to the tip  and Audio out L to the first ring  just like a normal 3 pole 3.5mm for a headset Left - right and ground.  The extra 4th ring must be the micrphone input  logicwise.

But it wil not  pick up any signal the internal microphone keeps open.

Is there any special setting to this cable splitter that i have missed except for the special 4 pole 3.5m jack?

Fanfold Paper
chris1

at JCvO: your pinning is the wrong one I assume.

In my T410 the 4-pin Audio pinning is (counted from Tip):

left ear - right ear - Gnd - Mic

So the MIC is on the most far outer end. Usual Plugs have their body there. It makes the wiring rather difficult. Because shielded cable outer shield can't go on that usual position but shall go on the 3rd ring from tip.

This kind of silly cabling is also used from iPhone. The Nokia pinning is different and has the more logical pinning left - right - Mic - Gnd. So you cant use Nokia or Video camcorder adapters on the Lenovo or iPhone 4-pin audio jack.

For a pure headset that doesn't matter at all, as the ground on the 3-pin plug covers both MIC and GND positions.

Chris