Support in other languages: 
Guru
sys3175

Re: T510 + i5 540M = terrible whine noise!

LED displays don't use inverters.

Thinkpad T500-2081 CTO | T9400 2.53GHz | 8 GB RAM | ATI HD3650 + Intel GM45 | 15.4" LED WXGA+ | Windows 8 | ATI Catalyst 13.1 (non-switchable)
Thinkpad 390x | PII 333 | 256mb ram | NeoMagic 256AV | SVGA LCD | OS/2 v4.52
Ctrl-Alt-Del
lkpcampion

The noise is still present when the lid is closed (and thus the LCD). Guess that indicates the problem doesn't go with the backlight?

Guru
sys3175

Wouldn't be the backlight inverter anyway, all the Tx10 models use LED backlights, and have no inverters.

Thinkpad T500-2081 CTO | T9400 2.53GHz | 8 GB RAM | ATI HD3650 + Intel GM45 | 15.4" LED WXGA+ | Windows 8 | ATI Catalyst 13.1 (non-switchable)
Thinkpad 390x | PII 333 | 256mb ram | NeoMagic 256AV | SVGA LCD | OS/2 v4.52
Fanfold Paper
thinkpad_connor

I have been having the exact same problem with my T510 (i7).

I have done some research and this problem isn't unique to Lenovo computers, it has been known to afflict several laptops.

The noise that you seem to describe, and that I am getting, is a high pitched buzzing noise (it isn't particuarly loud, but when it is quiet, you are sure to hear this annoying sound) coming from what seems to be the left side of the computer. This is NOT the system fan. The noise is coming from in or around the CPU.

This link seems to describe a similar problem

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=1652387#post1652387

This link claims to have a solution:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?p=31347

The problem is, many of the people who resolved it did so by using the program RM Clock and entering the setting posed by link two; however, RM Clock does not work with x64 systems and many features don't work with Windows 7.

The other option seems to be disabling "C4 power state" in the BIOS, although I don't know how to do that and I am hesitant to do so (not wanting to make the problem worse).

(I noticed that when I click the Lenovo Power Manager button on the taskbar, while Power Manager loads up, the sound stops, once the program pops up though, the sounds continues.)

My computer is 2 days old and I am having this problem and can't seem to find a solution, if anyone finds a solution please post what you did and how you did so!

What's DOS?
brianyu_ca

Hi I was wondering if you were able to get the problem fixed?

I just got my T510 Intel Core i5-520M Processor (2.40GHz, 3MB L3, 1066MHz FSB) couple weeks ago and am experiencing the same problem.

Fanfold Paper
thinkpad_connor

Unfortunately I haven't been able to fix the problem.

I will most likely contact technical support when I have the free time.

(Although, if you want to minimize the noise a bit, you can Disable "CPU Deeper Sleep" in the Power Manager by clicking System Settings under the Power Plan tab.)

oct
Serial Port
oct

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone.

I wanted to share with you a potential solution for this issue, which worked for me at least.

My solution was to use ThrottleStop app. More than that, all I need to do is to just to start it!!! It turned out to be C states, because by default it disables them and there is an option that if I check it noise comes back.

Small note though. Initially I was seeing my CPU getting to 3.06GHZ, but now only up to 2.7GHz, but I don't care, because it's much better than having it constantly at 1.2GHz

Also I had to disable in BIOS the CPU Power management as well. If it's enabled this fix doesn't work...

Hope this will help those that have the same problem.

PS: ThrottleStop 2.0 Build 25

Token Ring
unclewebb

oct wrote:

Small note though. Initially I was seeing my CPU getting to 3.06GHZ, but now only up to 2.7GHz, but I don't care, because it's much better than having it constantly at 1.2GHz

ThrottleStop should not prevent your CPU from running at full speed.  There are a lot of apps out there including widgets that do not 100% correctly report the speed of Core i7 CPUs.  With turbo boost, the multiplier can be changing so many times per second bsed on load that most software misreports these new CPUs.

If you run a benchmark like Super PI mod or wPrime you should see similar performance with or without C States enabled.  Similar idle power consumption too.

ThrottleStop 2.00 Build 25

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/ThrottleStop.zip

You can also keep an eye on the RealTemp reported multiplier which accurately measures CPU MHz on these CPUs using high performance timers which is the Intel recommended method.

RealTemp 3.59

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTempBeta.zip

Interesting to hear about another use for ThrottleStop.  It's like a Swiss army knife for a variety of laptop issues.

What's DOS?
david89626

VERY High-pitched sound with T510!!!

Anybody have the similar problem? My new T510 has the annoying whin-sound all the time when the it is on.

I Google the problem , and it seems it is the CPU issue but the software RMClock dose not support Core i7 at the time.

Anybody knows how to fix this annoying problem? It really gives me headache.

Thx! :smileyhappy:

Paper Tape
dbk218

Re: VERY High-pitched sound with T510!!!

I’ m also owner of a new T510.

The noise is indeed terrible.

I found, removing the cover that comes from the left side of CPU. Adjusting the power management the noise gets lower but never eliminated.

The fan also is noisy, producing a low level metallic noise that drives me crazy.

The only solution I found is using external monitor, keyboard and mouse keeping laptop away from me and some times covered under a thick coat.   

Even so, many times hangs up after or during hibernating, because of external monitor detection.

I’ m very disappointed with my selection to buy it and I’ m looking for an other equivalent laptop to replace it.